Tuesday, December 20, 2016

My New Day Planner For 2017


This time of year I like to print out a new set of calendar pages for my day planner.  Then I like to get started planning.  This year I decided to spruce up the old day planner with a new cover. 

I've never made one before so I had to put a little bit of thought into what I wanted and how the heck I was going to make it.  I sketched it out on paper and after running it over in my mind for a couple of days I was ready to get busy.


The fabric I selected from my stash and I love it!

To begin I cut two pieces that were 9" X 12" and two pieces that were 6" X 9".  I also cut some interfacing in the same dimensions.  I cut the 6" X 9" piece of interfacing in half so I would have two pieces measuring 3" X 9".


I folded and pressed the 6" X 9" pieces in half lengthwise and inserted the smaller pieces of interfacing inside the folded pieces.  I pressed them again and then topstitched the folded edge.  These pieces will make the side pockets to hold notes, lists, coupons, etc.



Next I layered the pieces so the larger pieces faced each other with the smaller pieces sandwiched in between at the edges.  I layered the interfacing on top and pinned it all into place.


After stitching the edges with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 2 inch opening for turning, I clipped each corner.  I then turned it all right side out and pressed it. 


At this point I decided to add a pieced of elastic to hold the calendar pages in place.  Next time I'll add this before sewing but this time I just turned in inside out again and used my seam ripper to open the top edge a little bit and tucked in the elastic.  I stitched it in place, turned it right side out and tucked the end in place at the opening.  Once it was pinned in place I topped stitched it between the side pockets to close the opening and hold the elastic.  


I also decided after the fact to add an elastic loop so I could make a closure.  Next time I'll add it before I sew it all together too.  I picked a button out of my button jar and stitched it into place. 

After trimming I folded them in half to fit inside better

Who has hot pink elastic?!  Apparently I do.

Lastly, I took my printed pages and trimmed off the tops of each page a little to fit inside the cover.  I also added a piece of cardstock trimmed to size to add a little more stiffness to the cover, although it was pretty nice all on its own.

Love the side pockets for tucking in notes, lists and coupons.

Fits inside my purse perfectly.

For my first one, and a prototype, I think it turned out fairly well.  I'm sure it will last quite awhile and I'll get a lot of use out of it.



6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the fabric you chose.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...but it can get grubby and dusty over the months. You might want to spray it with protector, or cover with plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog. I love the day planner you made. I really have to get started on mine. I was going to do so today and ended up knitting and playing with a little baby....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it! Hmmmmm, dayplanner..... baby..... I'd pick baby too!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...