Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie


This pie is an ooooooold recipe and our very favorite coconut cream pie ever.  It is a custard pie as opposed to a pudding type filling.  The ingredients are very basic and simple making this a delicious and thrifty dessert.

Coconut Custard Pie

1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups scalded milk
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sweetened whipped cream

In a large bowl beat eggs with sugar, salt and vanilla.  Slowly begin beating in the milk.  Stir in the coconut. Pour custard mixture into pie shell and bake in a 450° oven for 20 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350° and bake additional 15 minutes.  Remove from oven to rack and allow to cool to room temperature.  Chill 2 to 4 hours.  Top with whipped cream.


Can you believe how simple the ingredients are and how easy it is to prepare?  I was surprised myself the first time I made it.  Then I tasted it and was absolutely amazed.  It is delicious. 


This is why I love old fashioned recipes so much!


16 comments:

  1. My comment has nothing to do with pie, although the picture above is making my stomach growl. Last night I began back at the very beginning of your blog and discovered a wealth of information. The 30 things to do list is wonderful. This I am going to try and started my own list. How do you keep it limited to only 30 things?
    Anyway, I discovered your post about "Extreme Cheapskates" and began watching the show on Youtube. My husband entered the room, sat down and began watching also. We spent the rest of the evening absolutely glued to the screen. He said it was like driving past a dead skunk in the road, you have to look. Yep. That about sums it up.

    We must not be cheapskates because we do not reuse (or share) dental floss, share bath water (except for the dog after I take a bubble bath, he hates it), nor have I ever washed my dishes in a swimming pool (we don't own a pool). Your blog has more useful good ideas than the whole evening of shows.
    Jeannie (a very new blogger who is just learning)
    Getmetothecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, your comments about the show cracked me up. It is totally like that!!! I had to watch too! I have checked out your blog as well and I love it. Keep up the great work. Glad you are enjoying this one. Thanks Jeannie!

      Delete
  2. Coconut cream pie is my favorite pie. I am definitely going to try this one. Thank you for sharing. Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. am I nuts? I don't see coconut in the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any either. I have a pie shell I need to use (needed the room in the freezer so had to thaw it), so I going to try a cup of coconut and see how that looks. Sounds like a great recipe!

      Delete
    2. LOL I didn't notice it didn't list coconut...my mouth was watering too much.

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh you guys! It is in there now. Ha, ha, ha.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. I love coconut custard, not so much the cream variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. This one isn't so sweet like some of the cream or pudding varieties.

      Delete
  5. YUM! This sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhhhhhh where's the coconut?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...