Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Extreme Anxiety


Anxiety is a condition that effects countless individuals in a very profound way and I happen to be one of those.  I have suffered with extreme anxiety for as long as I can remember.  Even as a very small child I can remember being fearful of everything.  New experiences and changes terrified me.  My parents were very young when they married and had children and I'm sure I made life challenging, especially for my mother who was a stay at home mom.  But back in those days, this was the sixties, no one recognized or even knew what to do.  So I understand they did the best they could.

I remember my first day of kindergarten.  I was, without a doubt, petrified.  Everyone did their best to prepare me for the inevitable, but I didn't want to leave home or my mom.  I cried so hard I was shuddering and hiccupping, but I was very fortunate to have a kind and compassionate teacher.  She sat me nearby her desk and made sure I was okay.  I liked her immediately.  It was a hard day, but I made it through and I was fine.

The school bus was a whole other ordeal.  Big, loud, noisy and smelly.  All the things that would set me on edge.  The second day of school my poor mother could not get me on that bus to save her soul.  I flipped out in the driveway and the bus left me.  My poor mother was fit to be tied as she tossed me and my baby brother into the car and hurried off toward the school.

The next day Dad stayed home from work (huge deal for him to take time from his job) and he walked my butt to the end of that driveway.  There was no messing with Dad.  I sobbed and sobbed, but I didn't say a word and I got on that bus because I knew what would happen if I didn't.  After making it safely to school and back home again I realized that I was fine.  The next day I got on the bus without a fuss.  I'm sure my mother was greatly relieved.

Doctors, dentists, you name it and I was terrified.  I can remember sitting in the waiting room with my little brother staring at me like I was crazy.  I was already crying when we left the house so you can imagine what I was like by the time we got there.  My mother, I'm sure, was embarrassed and frustrated as she dragged me into the office and then had to sit there in front of everyone while I wailed.  Everything was such an ordeal.

And if my grandmother couldn't babysit, forget about it.  My parents were hard pressed to go anywhere.  Babysitters?  Are you kidding?  My mom's main outlet as a stay at home mom was to go bowling.  She was really good at it too and belonged to a women's league.  One day my grandma could babysit and mom decided to try the daycare at the bowling alley.  She pretty much knew it would be a disaster, and it was.  My brother was happy as a clam and his big sister was at the door going ballistic.  They finally called my mom to come down and get me.  I spent the entire time sitting in a hard plastic seat watching the ladies bowl.  I was happy because I could see my mom.  She, on the other hand was furious.  When we got home I was sent to my room for the day.  Not an uncommon punishment for my constant "carrying on".

Kids with extreme anxiety tend to eat weird things.  I was a fuzz eater.  I picked all the fuzz off of my teddy bear and ate it until she was bald.  Then I started to work on my brother's until he got wise and started hiding him.  I also managed to put large bald spots on the pretty pink blanket my mother put on my bed.  My best friend in grade school ate crayons.  We must have been drawn to each other for what we recognized in one another.  Kindred spirits I suppose.  She tried not to eat crayons (can you imagine the temptation lying about everywhere in a grade school?).  I remember one day on the playground I noticed she had green wax on her two front teeth.  When I asked her about it she told me it was medicine to help her stop eating crayons.  She was my best friend so I pretended to believe her.  I'm pretty sure I was still eating fuzz at the time.

As I grew older my anxiety seemed to get better.  Not that I outgrew it, but after more experiences and understanding that not everything that happens to us is bad I figured out ways to cope.  To the best of my ability anyway.  But having anxiety as your constant companion takes its toll on a person.  And of course I grew up in a family and a time when you didn't talk about this kind of stuff.  It wasn't until I was in my early forties that I finally mustered up the courage to get some professional help.

After a little more than a year of some pretty intensive therapy I was able to gain a whole new perspective and understanding of what anxiety is and how it affects me.  My condition is real, not just in my head, and I found out I could do something about it.  I'm not crazy, I don't have "issues", it isn't my fault, it is not a weakness or an illness, it just is.  Simply put, it is how I'm wired.  It has been a process learning how to handle my "complicated wiring" and I work on it every single day.  Every day I start again.

In addition to learning certain techniques and coping skills to better handle situations in my life I also learned how to handle other people.  The odd thing is, that the people closest to you, the ones who should be helping and protecting you are often times the ones that treat you the worst, at least that was the case for me.  It was a hard one to come to grips with, even harder was to remove that element from my life.  It wasn't easy, in fact it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but since I did it, things have dramatically improved for me.

And while I feel badly that I'm not able to endure having those people in my life, especially since most of them are my family, I do not regret my decision.  The people in my life now are the people that belong here.  I still have some family members in my life - my aunts, my uncle and some cousins that love, care and encourage me.  Sadly my grandparents are gone now, they were always wonderful.  But I am also hugely blessed to have the best group of friends a girl could ever ask for.  Talk about protective and encouraging, holy cow!  They are my family as well.

My reason for sharing this with you is not to garner any type of sympathy.  Quite the contrary.  It is simply to share a little more about myself and to tell you that no matter what obstacles we face we can learn to adapt.  There are lots of things we can do.  Plenty we can learn.  And it is okay to ask for help when we need it.

Life can be really difficult sometimes, but at the end of the day it is still good.  In fact,  it is very good.  Take care my friends and enjoy this blessed day.



37 comments:

  1. I also have anxiety and I am in my 50's, had it in childhood too. What a relief to read your story, I am exhausted at the end of the day and some of it is emotional from dealing with people during the day - I am terrified of small talk, I have so many fears - too numerous to mention but things that other people take for granted -- for instance - elevators, highways, bridges, etc...all much too scary for me. I am so glad you shared....so glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you should see me white knuckle it going across bridges. My kids are awesome, they cheer me on all the way! "You can do it Mom" Believe me, I know and I understand where you are at. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this...I too have always had anxiety, mine increased as I got older...understanding it's how we are wired is a big deal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one's fault. It just is what it is. You have a lot of comrades. ;0)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. My son has anxiety and while we have him in therapy to help him cope, it has created a constant low level anxiety for me as well. Hearing that your fine and have learned to cope makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he has a strong support system he'll be fine. Hang in there mama.

      Delete
  4. Hugs. I don't suffer from anxiety (other than on a few select occasions, like moving states/jobs/houses), but I can only imagine how challenging it would have made parenting as well as growing up. You sound like you have a really great perspective & understanding on the challenges & solutions at this point. So happy to hear that you have a great circle of friends to support you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends are so awesome and I know how blessed I am to have them in my life. I just start everyday fresh. It works the best for me that way. ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that therapy has done good things for you. There's only so much "suck it up!" one can do on one's own. It is so good to live in an age where it's understood that mental health issues are not about personal failure, they are about unusual wiring and chemical imbalances. And it's good to live in a time where there is SO MUCH HELP available!

    My daughter has needle phobia--pretty badly, to the point where she almost faints--and it continues to be a tough journey to navigate. I know it's real, I know her reaction can't be helped, but I also know that she simply can't forgo shots--that's not an option. Her medical providers have not offered her any guidance on this issue, which annoys me greatly, and I have had to do research on my own.

    She needs to start the Guardasil series, so I ordered the Busy Bee for Shots (wish I had known about the ShotBlocker--it's cheaper) and asked the dr. for a prescription numbing cream. I intend to ask about Versed (light anesthesia) and Valium (anti-anxiety). I'm also going to inquire about therapy. If there is therapy for people who are afraid of planes, dogs, and elevators, there simply must be desensitization therapy for people who are afraid of shots. Hopefully there will be someone local for her to work with.

    Sorry for the novel, but addressing mental health issues takes a lot of work and sometimes a real push on the medical community to recognize the issue and offer up some ideas.

    Thank you so much for sharing about your anxiety! You will surely help many more people than you could ever know with your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my issues also involve sensitivity issues so yes there are therapists that specialize in that. I had an extreme phobia with needles as a child, not fainting, but hysteria and hyperventalating. Talk about embarrassing! I pray as she gets older she'll do better with that. I am so much better than I used to be.

      Delete
  6. Good for you for getting help and learning how to navigate your situation. I have little anxiety and at times have trouble understanding how my good friend can be so anxious about everything. It is a learning curve being on the other side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for your friend. It super sucks, but it sounds like you are a good friend for her to have around. I know it can be hard though, because sometimes you just want to tell her to knock it off. Trust me, she'd really like to be able to do just exactly that!

      Delete
  7. My heart goes out to you.. Anxiety is s very sad hard thing to live with. I have a granddaughter who suffers with this. So happy that we have counslers now and help.
    Hugs..
    Hope you have a blessed day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. Happy to hear your granddaughter is getting the help she needs.

      Delete
  8. I too suffer from anxiety. Can you believe that. I think there is nothing wrong with sharing this. I am a high energy person and the world is a frightening place especially when you are little. I am not afraid of new experiences but I do get anxious about many things.l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our moments of anxiety and the world can be frightening at times. Very true. Take care my friend.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for this, and I'm right there with you. I've had bouts of anxiety in my adult life, just here and there, not constant but since my 40's (I'm 52 now) it has gotten worse. Four years ago I experienced a horrible panic attack. Since then, more minor episodes have occurred.

    Your childhood story is very touching, and I'm glad you've taken the steps to overcome your anxiety. I never would have any inkling you have anxiety by reading your blog. You seem very in charge to me and get things done, just as you are doing with your anxiety! Thank you for sharing something so personal. You are such an inspiration.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are close in age. Crazy how anxiety can hit at any time, but I know it does. Panic attacks are some real scary business too. I pray that you do well. Take it one day at a time and don't be afraid to ask for help.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I fear I am in the same boat....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're brave to bring up a difficult subject. I've never had that kind of anxiety but after my cancer diagnosis and during treatment I had severe anxiety. It eventually abated but I still have some social anxiety in certain situations. It's always good to have a voice about such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a real hard time getting up the nerve to post this, I'll be honest. But if felt like a good step for me to take. I pray your health maintains Christina.

      Delete
  12. Hello from another anxiety sufferer. Years later and lots of medication, it's manageable. But it keeps me from doing a LOT of things that would probably be fun. I tend to stay in my safe zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay too. Our safe zone is a good place to be and if you feel like testing the waters that is okay too. Don't feel pressured to do more than what you are capable of at that moment. ;)

      Delete
  13. I have had anxiety since childhood. I think it's due to my father getting so mad st the least little thing. It's made me a perfectionist and anxious. I have to pray a lot for Gods help. I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thankfully He does help. I do the same thing and thank him a lot too.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing, I have suffered with extreme anxiety, panic disorder and depression most of my life and I'm in my late 50's now.
    Recently a friend I've known for ten years or so ended our friendship. She couldn't understand me or why I wasn't able to do the things she wanted me to do. I realize now that her put downs of me and personal critical remarks were not said "for my benefit" as she would say. They were intentional hurtful remarks to put me down because in her eyes I was weak. Ask anyone who suffers and they will tell you it takes enormous strength to live each day like this. Friendship isn't about feeling superior to others and putting someone down. I'm angry because I don't believe I deserved her nastiness. To fully understand one needs to walk in the suffers shoes. Don't put me down for being different, it's not my fault but I do the best I can and if that's not good enough for you then you never really were a true "friend". For those that don't suffer, be thankful, it truly is a very hard road to travel. May God bless those who understand and love unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, true friends don't put you down or criticise, especially "for our benefit". I don't expect anyone to understand me, but I do expect to be treated with respect. I would do the same for them. I may not fully understand what another person is going through, but they sure don't deserve to be treated poorly for it. As my grandmother used to say "We all have our own box of rocks to pack" and some days it is pretty heavy. My mantra - One day at a time... and breathe.

      Delete
  15. I am 18 years old and I have suffered with extreme anxiety for as long as I can remember. Like yourself and many others I was constantly afraid, sometimes even in the safety of my own home. This led to terrifying and too-real night terrors. My social anxiety also made me the prime target for bullies from ages 6-12 no matter if I was placed in private or public schools. My parents did everything they could to help me, but I knew I was an extremely difficult child. Finally, when I was eight, my mother recieved a referral to a therapist that specialized in children. Almost immediately I was diagnosed with extreme anxiety, depression, and a Serotonin imbalance for which i was prescribed anti-depressants. Those three years with my therapist were some of the toughest in my life, but I am eternally grateful that my parents got me the help I needed to finally put my life in some semblance of order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy your parents were able to find the right help for you. So wonderful to hear you are doing well. It is a process and something I know I have to work on every day. I do think it gets easier as time goes on. Learning good coping skills has been the best thing for me. Thank you for sharing your story.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for being brave and sharing. Your post has touched my heart. It is easy to appear perfect on social media, and your life has seemed great to me; however, being honest and real with the world, is brutally hard.

    It was an honor to be allowed to have a glimpse into your soul. I like what I see.

    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie for your kind words. It means a lot to me. XX

      Delete
  17. Thank you for being so open and honest in your post. A lot of people suffer with anxiety and it is not talked about nearly enough. I appreciate that you shared this and your personal experience. You have a lovely blog and I really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is hard to open up about the tough stuff, but it has been surprisingly well received. Have a blessed day. :)

      Delete
  18. I'm so behind on my blog reading and just seeing this now. No wonder you understand what we are going through with the difficult decision that we had to make also. (((((HUGS))))
    I too have anxiety and can get ramped up really easily. I found myself doing exactly that earlier this evening and had to take a deep breath and remind myself that I was safe, decisions to protect myself and my hubby had been made and that better days were ahead of us.

    Be blessed my friend and know that I am praying for you and am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have had a heck of week, but like you said better times await. You can do this! Hang in there my friend. XXX & prayers for you as well. :0)

      Delete
  19. I am late to this party, but I had a screamer/clinger to me. It drove me nuts. Of course, I was sorry for her, but when you have to peel and 8-yr-old girl off yourself and shove her into a strange Sunday school class...well, I was at my wit's end. Taking tap and ballet helped her tremendously.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...