Monday, September 18, 2017

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


On Sunday I spent half of the day sewing.  I am currently working on Christmas gifts for my girls and I'm super excited to share with you (tomorrow).  You'll be so surprised when I tell you what I'm making.  And how I'm doing it in Thrifty Mom fashion too.

Monday I had no afterschool activities planned so I got to go straight home from work and stay there.  It was heaven!  I even sewed some more and worked on my Christmas gifts.

Saved bacon drippings

Tuesday I realized I had forgotten to renew my driver's license which expired on my birthday!  Holy crap!.  I headed over to the DMV right after work and got that taken care of.  Amazingly they got me right in and right out.  Shocker!  On the way home I picked up the girls from their after school activities with plenty of time to spare.

Wednesday I picked up the youngest from cheer practice.  We stopped at the dollar store to pick up a few things on the way home which saved me an extra trip later.  Gas too.  I found real namebrand feta cheese there for $1!  Whoo hoo!

All that cheese was only 99¢ each!

Saturday morning I let the girls sleep in and I headed off to Fred Meyer to do the grocery shopping.  There were only five things on my list that I needed for the week ahead so I decided to shop for bargains while I was there and I found some good ones too.  Score!

I made some homemade creamy garlic salad dressing.  It is delicious.

Markdowns!

We gave the chickens lots of yummy kitchen scraps.

I composted the usual, onion skins, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells and banana peels.

I washed out a couple Ziploc bags and a shower hat to reuse.

The weather has cooled and most of the smoke has cleared so we removed the A/C units from upstairs and stored them away for winter.  Now we are just using our box fans instead and blowing in cool air from outside when we need to.


The hard drive started acting up on my daughter's laptop so I ordered a new one from Amazon.  I took it to work where one of the techs helped me install it and reimage the laptop for better performance.  It works better than ever now!

Our home internet security was due for renewal this week.  One of the security reps paid us a visit at work and gave us all vouchers for a one year subscription of free security for our home computers.  Perfect timing and it saved me $50!

I downloaded some digital coupons to my Fred Meyer and Albertson's reward cards.


After making pasta salad I poured off the remaining olive oil left from a jar of artichoke hearts we finished up.  I used some of it to cook shrimp.  The rest I will save to cook with.  I also think it would be wonderful in some salad dressing.

How was your thrifty week?



8 comments:

  1. I always use the oil from artichoke jars for the base of a salad dressing. I figure I have already paid for it so I might as well use it. I had never thought of using it as cooking oil but I will try that too! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sticker items at grocery stores I always look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I thought the broccoli and the meat was a steal.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see tomorrow's post. I love to see what others are making. It puts me right in the mood for Christmas. I have done my fabric pull to make one daughter a rag quilt for Christmas but I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how to do it with me sewing in the middle of the house. I guess I will have to just say "hey go to your rooms while I make presents". They are old enough that it surely won't spoil anything for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that. They get super excited and I get no argument. Now that I have a space in my room it is easier.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's something to do with the UK but my chickens love banana skins. Someone told me once they peck the insides clean but mine eat the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might just be my spoiled rotten hens. They will totally eat a banana though. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...