Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Meals We Prepped #5


We did our quick trip to Winco Friday evening as we were in the area and our Saturday was looking a bit hectic with a schedule change and several activities on the docket.  I didn't do any meal prepping on Saturday either.  We came home Saturday pooped out and happy to know there was a buffet of leftovers in the fridge for supper.


Sunday morning I pulled out the piece of pot roast I'd set aside in the freezer the week before, two small packages of ground beef and a package of chicken breast I'd already cut into pieces.  I let them thaw and then I got to work.


First up was to prepare the stroganoff using the pot roast.  I sliced up an 8 ox package of baby portabella mushrooms and finely diced half a small onion.  


I sautéed that in olive oil and then added two heaping tablespoons of flour and about 3 cups of milk.  I seasoned it with salt, pepper and onion powder and let it come to a boil and thicken.  I shredded the roast and added it to the mushroom sauce.  


I let that simmer about ten minutes before removing it from the burner and stirring in a cup of sour cream.



Next I quickly put together the tater tot casserole by patting a pound and a half of ground beef into the bottom of a baking dish.  I topped that with a can of cream of mushroom soup, then peas & carrots and topped it with tater tots.  I covered the pan with foil and put it into the refrigerator.


The girls took over and made a pan of rice and cooked a bag of egg noodles.  They washed the green beans I had leftover from last week and we steamed those to go with the stroganoff instead of sautéing the squash.  We quickly cleaned up the kitchen and enjoyed an early Sunday supper.


Sunday - Beef stroganoff and green beans for our Sunday dinner with plenty of leftovers for another day.



Monday - I cooked up the cubed chicken with some teriyaki sauce I had bought at the dollar store, reheated the rice in the microwave for 5 minutes and made a quick green salad.  Dinner was ready in 15 minutes.


Tuesday - I reheated the leftover stroganoff and the green beans in the microwave.  Dinner was ready in 10 minutes.

Look how crispy those tater tots are!


Wednesday - I put the tater tot casserole in the convection oven for 50 minutes to bake while I went to pick up my daughter from cheer practice.  My oldest was home so I didn't need to worry about leaving an unattended oven.  I served it with leftover salad.



Thursday - The girls made breakfast burritos by scrambling some eggs and cooked pork sausage together.  We topped that with cheese and salsa.  I opened a can of peaches to go with it.  Dinner was ready in 10 minutes.



Friday - In the morning I boiled a package of bow tie pasta, rinsed it with some cold water and put it in the refrigerator.  When I got home I cut up some veggies and put together a quick salad with some Roasted Red Pepper salad dressing.  I sautéed some frozen shrimp I had in the freezer to serve alongside.  Dinner was ready in 15 minutes!


Saturday - I still had hotdog buns and wieners left from the week before.  We baked a small pan of leftover tater tots to go with and a little green salad of lettuce and tomato.  Super quick and the kids loved it.

Every week I find myself excited about the meals we get to eat and even the shopping and meal prepping too.  The girls help out which makes the process even easier and we are having fun too.  They enjoy going to the grocery store, helping to plan the menus, as well as the cooking.

We all continue to appreciate a cleaner kitchen and less dishes to wash during the week.  Have any of you tried to do a little meal prepping lately?




12 comments:

  1. Love your posts!!! Everything looks so delicious!! You have inspired me to start meal prepping.

    Your girls are learning such valuable skills,

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fine menu, especially the stroganoff. I have not had that is a long time and now it sounds delicious. I am going to have to go hunt through the freezer to see if I have a hunk of beef hidden somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hadn't either and it sure was good. I'm craving it again. ;0)

      Delete
  3. I cook on Friday, Saturday & Sunday - enough for two meal's worth each time. We eat the dinner those nights, and then have leftovers during the week. It leaves us with one night (Thursday) where we can either finish up random items leftover, or heat up something from the freezer. We always have things like spaghetti & meatballs to throw together.

    The only challenge is when I'm out of town. It makes the week quite a scramble when I can't pre-prep meals. My work schedule (& energy levels) in the evening make cooking on weeknights pretty challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So smart! I completely understand, the weeknights can be pretty hectic and by the time I get home I'm kind of pooped.

      Delete
  4. Your meals look so good.. Proud you and girls are getting to do this early, and save some of the stress of preparing meals and doing all the running around you have to do.[I have teenage grandchildren, so I know how the week goes.. run,run, run.ha]
    I usually cook double the amount of item we will need , and put the other casserole in the freezer..So nice when we have unexpected guest or Just a busy day meal completed.. Need to do the weekly prep.. Even though we are not as busy now that we live alone..It would be nice to have meals done..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not use the leftover stroganoff sauce for the tater tot casserole, the next time you make this combo of meals, and save yourself a can of mushroom soup? (Keeps the casserole from getting too 'mucky,' too, from extra soup.)
    The casserole is a huge favorite with our girlies -- only their gram likes to add sliced onion to the top. I've heard it called elsewhere "Smells to Heaven."

    P.S. A little red wine (tablespoon or two) in the stroganoff gives it extra "oomph." Chinese cooking wine is good in the teriyaki, too. No, I don't drink that much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally plan to do that next time! I had one lone can of soup and I wanted to use it up and get it out of here. Homemade is truly better! Wine in the stroganoff? Hmmmm.....

      Delete
  6. Do you put the ground beef raw in the bottom of the casserole? Can I use chicken in the stroganoff? I love beef stroganoff, but cannot eat the beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the beef in the tater tot casserole raw which is why it bakes for almost an hour. I check it too to make sure it is cooked all the way. Yes! Put chicken in the stroganoff. That would be delicious.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...