Friday, September 15, 2017

Purging Update - All Finished!


In the past month. as we approached the third year anniversary of us moving back into our home, I have systematically made my way through the entire house.  I went through closets, cupboard and drawers.  I purged items we don't need, use, want or find useful anymore.

Food storage wraps, bags, clips & covers

In the last week I finished up the lower drawers in the kitchen.  I basically ended up combining and organizing things like food storage bag, containers and lids.  I also put a few items away in their proper places that somehow managed to make their way in those drawers.  Pretty easy task really that took about five minutes per drawer.

The cabinet in the downstairs bathroom only needed a quick organizing.  I tossed out a couple things, but for the most part everything stayed.  Not much there to be concerned about.  And then I was finished.

Freezer containers, lids for canning jars, extra bags

By the time all was said and done we had completely filled up our blue recycle bin with cardboard and paper to set on the curb for collection.  I burned a small pile of shreddables in our fire pot on the back deck.  And then we probably filled up two plastic grocery bags with trash.  I didn't think that was bad at all.  Our donate pile filled up one laundry basket.  I put that in the trunk of my car and dropped those items off at the thrift store.

I try to stay on top of things throughout the year, but I'm really glad I decided to go through the house and give it a thorough once over.  I'm still just amazed at all the stuff we put in the recycle bin.  I had no idea there was that much stuff in the house.  Well, no more.  It's all gone now!

I also donated a grocery bag stuffed full of bags for the thrift store to reuse

Keeping clutter under control is definitely a process.  In fact, I just recently stuck another smile pile of junk mail out in the fire pot and it looks like the recycle bin is starting to get full again.  Moving forward I hope to continue to stay on top of things and keep our home free of junk.  Yep, it is definitely a process.

How are you coming along with your purging efforts?



8 comments:

  1. my recycle bags and container are filling up...almost time to drop them off (I reuse a large brown paper bag with handles for the small stuff)...all of Mom's puzzles were donated to the Alzheimer Network this week, they were much appreciated! so happy to know they'll keep others entertained...dyeing lots of wool to sell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Kelley. You are making lots of progress. Hope you are having a fabulous day! :0)

      Delete
  2. Good job you actually went through your whole house! I know how hard that is but I agree it is a lot easier now in maintenance mode rather than when we did our very first decluttering years ago.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was brutal! I don't ever want to go back to that place again. So much nicer now. Take care! :)

      Delete
  3. You've done really well. :) My purging got put on hold for a bit while we dealt with a few things here and helped family out. I do need to get back on the purge pony again though. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I hope your weekend is wonderful! Take care.

      Delete
  4. We took a small load to the thrift store this past weekend. I have so much that belongs to my sons. They are not really settled in their lives, moving from college to apartments, to internships. My house is called "Grand Central Station" as they move in and out from job to job. This winter during the holidays I should have all three here at once so we will do a big cleaning then. (Don't anybody tell them or they won't come home.) Right now we have the space to store things but someday when each one is in a permanent place, I will purge!!!!!!
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That transitional stage - been there; done that. Hoping it will be better this time with my girls. ;)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...