Monday, September 11, 2017

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


We had been socked in with heavy smoke from surrounding fires for most of the week.  Our air quality was in the red and on Thursday we hit purple.  I didn't even know there was a purple, but I guess that is really bad.  There were a lot of last minute cancellations for school activities, games and practices which made it a bit hectic trying to get the girls picked up and home each day.  But we managed it and that is all that matters.

My canning funnel was the perfect size to drawer my template

Sunday morning I was a busy girl.  The oldest and I had made some berry jam the day before and I wanted to gussy up the jars a bit.  I used my pinking shears to cut circles out of a scrap of some red gingham I had and then I put them on using the rings.  I then made some cute labels on my laptop and printed them out using a sheet of leftover labels I had in my office supplies.  I think they turned out super cute!


I also used some items I already had in my sewing stash to finish a birthday gift for a friend of mine.  I also got busy making another gift for another friend.  I made some more little stocking stuffers too (look for that tutorial to be posted on Thursday).  So much fun!


Not a whole lot went on throughout the main part of the week really.  So not much to report there.

I made this cute little table matte of scraps

On the way home from a doctor appointment on Thursday I dropped off our water bill in the company's drop box.

On Friday my youngest needed a ride home from the library so I decided to make that trip count.  En route I dropped off a couple Amazon returns at the UPS store and all of our donation items at the thrift store.  At the library I picked up a couple books as I hadn't been for a while.  The Kindle is nice, but just not the same, you know?


After the library we headed off to Winco is it is close by and picked up the groceries we needed for the week ahead.  I also needed to get some spices from the bulk bin, garlic and dried basil, to refill my jars.  I got cornstarch (50¢) to refill that container as well.  I spent less than $25 on groceries which included a few stock up items and fresh produce!  Yay!


I made a new spice jar for garlic using a half pint canning jar I had and a lid from a container of parmesan cheese.  We use a lot of garlic when we cook so it makes more sense to do this instead of refilling the smaller containers.  Especially since I buy most of my spices from the bulk bin.  Filling this jar with a whole cup of granulated garlic cost me $2.85.  I filled up the pint jar that I keep basil in for only 39¢!

I finally finished my pan covers

Saturday morning I woke to orange air quality and I could see the sky.  It didn't smell smoky out, nor did it look it, so the school district made up for those cancellations and we got those games caught up in marathon fashion.  The parking lot at the high school was packed and every conceivable sport was taking place, which was actually kind of cool.


After dropping my oldest off at school for marching band I headed off to the mall, which is close by, to use a coupon for 20% OFF on a tube of moisturizer and another coupon for a free item I'd been sent in the mail.  I use the moisturizer as my face cream and it lasts quite a while.  When I got there the moisturizer was on sale $7 each!  I ended getting two for less than the price of one tube.  Score!

Since we were in the area we also stopped in at the Franz Bakery.  I spent $10 and picked up 7 loaves of bread a bag of hoagie rolls and a package of hamburger buns.  I don't think I'll need to buy bread for several months now.


I took the sliver of soap in our shower, got it wet as well as a new bar, and stuck the two together.  Now we'll be able to easily use up that sliver of soap and it won't go to waste.

We gave the chickens our kitchen scraps.  We also sold two dozen eggs to a friend.

How was your thrifty week?



10 comments:

  1. Here in Lewiston we have had terrible smoke. I have seen worse however about 17 years ago. Headaches galore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had headaches too. Stuff is nasty! Hopefully we'll get some good rain soon. :)

      Delete
  2. You had a great "maker" week. I just love those kind of weeks. I finished that baby quilt I started on labor day. I am so glad because I found out last night the baby shower is this upcoming weekend. I am still so happy to have my sewjo back! Looking forward to your tutorial on the stocking stuffers. I am always looking for new ideas to use supplies I already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful Candace! Perfectly timed too. I think we both have found our sewjo. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your pan covers! Did you use elastic around the edges? I'm always throwing a dish towel over mine, but these are so much cuter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use elastic. One of these days I'll have to do a tutorial on how I put them together. Beats a dish towel, which is what I used to use too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...