Monday, August 17, 2020

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


Our days had cooled off quite a bit.  Sunday morning was gorgeous.  I opened the doors and windows and set the box fan at our back door to bring in the fresh cool air.  Once I was showered and dressed I headed off to do my first grocery shop of the month.  I started at Dollar Tree and picked up a few things then to Albertsons with a very short list - yogurt, TP and a bottle of Perrier.  I had plenty of other things at home already to make meals so just a few sales items.

 

My little grocery haul


After I got home I did a little yard work and then a couple friends stopped by for a visit.  I shared with them my decision to boycott the news media and they told me they were doing the same thing.  They are very happy with this decision as am I.  We all agreed we aren't missing anything of any importance.

 


I picked up a compressed wood cutout at Dollar Tree for $1 and spray painted it with black paint I had in the garage.  I've always wanted one of these for our mantle and Hobby Lobby had them this size for $10.99 on sale.  Still more than I wanted to spend, even on sale, but now I have this one for $1 and it painted up perfectly.  I think it looks great and just like the more expensive version.

 

This was a super quick & easy project

I ordered a birthday gift for a friend from eBay.  I also bought three vintage sewing patterns for projects I have planned in the not so distant future.  I'm excited to get them and even more excited to use them.

 

How do you like my wrapping?

I made a big pot of taco soup so that I could use up a partial carton of beef broth I had in the fridge.  As always it is delicious and kept us fed for two suppers and a few lunches.  I also thawed out some small sirloin steaks.  I thinly sliced up two of them to make broccoli beef with rice and the third steak ended up being my dinner one night with leftover vegetables reheated.  We enjoyed a good variety of meals last week and didn't have much in the way of food waste.

 


I listed a gob of sewing patterns on eBay to sell.

 


I used shower gel and mixed up some foaming hand soap solution to fill all three of our dispensers =  1 Tbs shower gel + 1 cup warm water. Quick, easy and extremely thrifty.

 


I washed out a few ziploc bags so we can reuse them.  We gave our kitchen scraps to the chickens.  I sold a couple dozen eggs and I will be putting the money toward the next bag of feed I buy.

 


I worked some more overtime last week.  I will use that extra money next week to place another order from Amazon for a few items I want to stock up on.


Prepper Pantry = matches, scrub sponges, toilet paper, vinegar.

 


Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - vacuumed floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Dining Room - vacuumed & mopped  floor. 

Kitchen -  vacuumed & mopped floor, cleaned range hood & stove, wiped down appliances, cleaned upper cabinets. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  Scrubbed sink & tub.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - one large load of laundry, vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & entry, mopped living room entry.  Swept front porch & tidied the garage.

 


How was your thrifty week?

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I am on day three of cooler air and no air conditioning! My electric bill is enjoying this break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our heat went back up again, but cooler days are on the horizon. 103 yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Hi there!

    Yet again I must apologise for reading your blog every day without commenting. My only excuse is that these weird, dystopian days have made me busier than usual.

    I just wanted to say that I continue finding inspiration and joy in your posts for which I bless you daily. And I agree about watching the news. It's interesting and worrying that, despite living in a small island across the ocean from you, I see the same problems with public life and media coverage of the same.


    Big hugs to you and your lovely girls.

    Heloise xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend from across the way. So good to hear from you. What a crazy world we are in at the moment. Take care and stay well. XXX

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...