Saturday, July 25, 2020

Christmas Update #4


I am beginning to get more serious about Christmas now after finding two items on eBay for the girls main gift this year.  I am super excited about them and now can hardly wait.  And to share those gifts with you too.  Much as I would like to tell you right now, because I am really that excited, I don't dare risk spoiling the surprise.  And they are going to be really surprised.

  


Along with picking up my first gifts in the last month I did start a draft of our annual Christmas letter, but ultimately stopped as the words just weren't flowing.  I'll take a look at it here in the next few weeks and see if I feel any more motivated to work on it.

 


And on top of the gifts I already picked up I also found a couple more my girls have expressed interest in so I will be picking those up soon to add to my stash and then getting busy soon at the sewing machine to add some items to their first gifts.  I think I've got some good ideas for gifts this year.  Finally.  Nothing was really coming to me this year.  Until I figured it out!  Yay!!

 


So some progress has been made and it has sparked my enthusiasm for the holiday season a little bit.  I'm in no rush for Christmas to arrive, but I'm not going to be stressed or anxious about it when it does.  Have any of you done any preparations for Christmas yet?

 

 


4 comments:

  1. Like you, I prepare for Christmas all year long. With the arrival of Girl living with us for a year, I have an additional person to plan for--and 6 months later than I normally do. No worries, though, as I pick up things cheaply all year long, that I can just pull from that stash. I have an idea for an Advent calendar to make for her, I just have to remember to save the supplies. The biggest gift will probably be a hoodie, which I ordered on sale from Hanes for all the kids (save eldest) who really love hoodies. I had placed an order back in January for my kids when they were on clearance at $11/each. This order was the new colors--not as cheap, $20 (yikes, but I had an additional 20% off), but the kids will love the colors. Basically, my kids get one or two new things each. The only time a big ticket item might make it under the tree is if it is a borderline need, say, an upgraded guitar or better laptop for college classes. No, I don't think "Oh, kid 1 got a new guitar, so I better even it out for the rest."
    I am also making Girl a Christmas quilt--it's a tradition that I make one every year, and alternate the recipient. Each of my kids has at least two at this point, so this one will go to Girl. Of course she'll get it before Christmas, but she will appreciate it. I am making it entirely from scraps of fabric I have from other projects.
    Like you, I'm in no hurry for Christmas to come, but if I plan throughout the year, when it does arrive, I can relax and enjoy the season. I don't have to rush about, or stress about the cost. Instead, I can spend my Advent making cards and candles for friends, baking, and enjoying my sparsely decorated home. I hate to sound mean, but I have no patience for people who gripe about the stress of Christmas as if its arrival was a big surprise. I firmly believe that if a holiday is causing you stress for whatever reason, you should change your approach to it. I did that decades ago, and have never, ever regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Meg. Stressful holidays aren't enjoyable at all. I don't regret changing my approach to them at all. It sounds like you have some wonderful plans lined out.

      Delete
  2. Now I cant wait till christmas to see what you got you girls! Lol. I also shop all year long picking up clearance items. I shop for my dh, dd and 2 grandchildren, we all live togethe . I also buy a gift for each of my five daycare children and a small gift for their moms. I also provide christmas for 2 children in need, buying them clothes and toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very generous heart. Bless you. You really know how to make the season special for many people.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...