Wednesday, August 5, 2015

KIS - Reduce The Sugar




Reducing the amount of sugar we consume on a daily basis can have a dramatic effect on our overall health and how we feel.  Sugars and sugar substitutes like Splenda, Equal and Truvia as well as corn syrup are found in a lot of the foods we buy at the store.  To know exactly what and how much requires that we read the food facts and ingredient listings on the labels.

Carbohydrates or starches such as bread, rice and pasta also turn to sugar and are stored in our bodies as fat for use later when we need them.  This is probably why low carb diets have become a popular way of losing weight for a lot of people.y 

I personally have no desire to completely eliminate sugar and carbohydrates from my diet.  I have a serious sweet tooth and love my breads, rice and pastas.  However, I can always tell when I've overdone it on the sugar.  I don't feel right.  In fact I feel rather sluggish and sometimes downright sleepy.  So moderation, for me, is key.

Here are a few ideas to reduce sugar consumption:

Simply add less.  If you add sugar or sweetener to your tea or coffee you can try adding a little less each day.

Instead of always reaching for something sweet like a cookie for dessert consider fresh fruit or berries.

Switch out a dish of ice cream for a dish of yogurt.

Cut the pre-sweetened cereal with a non sweetened cereal like plain cheerios, rice crispies or bran flakes

When making cookies bake only one third of the dough, divide the rest in half, wrap and freeze.  You'll be less tempted to binge.

Limit your juice intake.  Avoid soda.  Drink more water.

Watch less TV.  Commercials tend to make us hungry, even when we aren’t.

Take a walk or start an activity.

Experiment with ways to reduce sugar in your diet.  You will feel better and your body will be happier too.  You may even lose a little weight in the process.  I really like that idea.



4 comments:

  1. I am not a big sugar person but chocolate candy is a real treat. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I cut out lots of sugar a little over a year ago. No more sodas and candy. I pay attention to how much sugar I am eating a day and control the amount. I did this for health reasons, but I have lost almost 20 pounds. Doesn't sound like much for a year, but I feel better and the lab work from the doctor's is doing great. Because I didn't cut out everything, it's very sustainable for me and has become a life style change and not a diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I don't believe in diets, but I fully support lifestyle changes. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...