Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I Made It! Again!


I marked another one off my summer "To Do" list and for me it was a biggie!

From the trailhead parking lot

There is a cross that overlooks our fine city.  It is lit up at night and visible from just about everywhere.  There are dozens of trails in the area that lead right to it and for quite some time we have wanted to hike one of them to the top.



Last summer it was planned for us to do it, but the youngest broke her foot so that pretty much took care of that idea.  This summer it was back on the list and we started preparing ourselves to finally do it.  We pretty much spent the summer eating healthy and being active.  The youngest and I did our walking routine and the oldest was in P.E. this summer.  In fact her class actually did this hike as part of their curriculum.

Looking back over the city

Thankfully my daughter was willing to do it again with us because at the end when I was pooping out she was my cheerleader.  I almost gave up but she kept me going.  It was HARD.

Getting closer

But I did it!

Almost there!

I did have to use my inhaler once on the way up.  We were about two thirds of the way up the trail and it was getting smokier (from a nearby forest fire) and the trail was really dusty.  After that it was slow going, but also the steepest part of the hike.

Hot, sweaty and glad to be at the top

It was also getting HOT out.  I didn't know how long it would take.  I know most people get it done quicker.  It took me an hour and a half to get up there.

How awesome is this?!

Fortunately coming down is much easier and it only took us thirty minutes to make it back to our sun baked car.  When I opened it up it was like a blast furnace.

Me standing at the base of the cross

We enjoyed cold water from the cooler in the trunk and stood outside until the A/C began to work.  Then we headed off to a nice shady park for a picnic lunch.  


Will I do it again?  You better believe it.  I'm on a mission to do it better and faster.  Next time I'll go earlier in the day when it is cooler, preferably without forest fire smoke in the air too.  I hope to make it a regular thing.

August 27, 2016

The views on the way up are pretty fantastic.  Especially at the top.


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it to the top with your daughters! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It may sound crazy, but I'm ready to do it again! :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...