Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


In the early morning hours on Sunday I baked two loaves of whole wheat bread and made cream puffs.  We had friends over for dessert and to play games that afternoon.


I kept our grocery shopping minimal and only bought what we needed keeping it under $20 - milk, flour, shredded wheat and some produce.

I used my Fred Meyer rewards points to top off the gas tank on the car and saved 30¢ a gallon.  Whoo hoooo!  I also took another store survey to add 50 additional bonus points back to my card for the discount on my next fill up.

Our latest grocery haul

We fed the chickens our kitchen scraps.  I shared some bread, grapes and tomato slices with them as well.  I love spoiling them and they loaded us up with eggs again this week.

After work I went to ShopKo to buy a new pair of running shoes and some cotton athletic socks as both were on sale.  The shoes were on sale for $39.99 (regularly $59.99) and the socks were buy one get one 50% OFF.  While there I checked the clearance racks and found two dry wick work out shirts ($7.49 & $4.49) and a pair of long work out pants ($7.49).  At checkout I was also able to use a $10 OFF coupon to lower my purchase total even more!  Love that!


I got my free samples from Kotex in the mail, I thought they came really fast.  They also included four adult coloring pages (totally unexpected) which I gave to my girls to enjoy.

I got online and negotiated a 50% discount via chat to renew our Norton security software for our laptops and computer.  Only took me ten minutes.

Dueling bread machines

Now that the weather is cooling we went ahead and pulled the A/C units out of the upstairs windows.  I usually try to get those out and stored away over Labor day weekend.  Now we can use our box fans to bring in cool air and then close everything up during the warmest part of the day.  That will save us quite a bit on our electric bill and help offset the cost of the new fans.

Two large lovely loaves baking

We did really well sticking to the meal plan and using up leftovers with minimal food waste.  Hurray!

A visitor arrives

Silly girl


Our week was fairly busy so I didn't get my midweek wash load done.  On Saturday I was pleasantly surprised that we only ended up with two large loads to run after an entire week.  Pretty good, I'd say.

One of our delicious meals his week

I washed out quite a few Ziploc bags to reuse.

How thrifty was your week?



4 comments:

  1. Bread looks yummy... Love the girls with their visiting chicken..ha
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a silly chicken. She loves to come in and visit. Beg for treats. :)

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at your chicken. :) She sure is friendly. You did really well this week. We are starting to do a few winterizing things here also. My husband turned off the water to our swamp cooler but we can still use the fan to vent in cooler air at night. In about 2 weeks he will have to wrap the whole thing up though because we will lose too much heat once we have to start up the pellet stove again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather changed like someone flipped a switch. I'm glad we pulled the A/C units when we did because it is really getting cold at night.

      Our Edith is a sweetheart. She loves to come inside to visit and will beg for treats in the kitchen. Sometimes I think she thinks she is one of the cats.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...