Thursday, September 8, 2016

My Uber Thrifty Month In Review - August


I began the month with half a tank of gas in the car, nearly a full tank in the truck, a full pantry and two full freezers plus a paycheck with several hours of overtime on it.  Not a bad way to begin.

I started out by paying all of our regular monthly bills before they were due.  Then I made a run to Cash & Carry for a few stock up items they had on sale and Fred Meyer for produce and milk.  That kept us set for the first half of the month, easily.


I made my regular planned debt elimination payment and took all the overtime I earned last month and applied that too.  It made a big impact and once again I am able to move up my timeline quite a bit.  Yippeeeee.

I put more money into my savings account and increased the amount of my 401(k) contribution by 2%.  Yaaaay.


I worked hard to keep the spending in check despite the fact that I had to register both girls for school, pay for school pictures and buy the oldest a pair of sneakers as well as some dress shoes.  The shoes were on clearance so I was able to keep the expense really low on those. J

After filling up the backpacks and checking off the school supply list, I restocked the school supply drawer with four bottles of glue for 50¢ a bottle, eight spiral notebooks for 19¢ each and four packages of notebook paper for 49¢ apiece.

I used some coupons I got in the mail at Bath & Body Works to purchase a couple gifts and restock our own supply of shower gel and lotion.  I got three bottles free and three bottles at 20% OFF.  I also hit a clearance rack and sale at Dillards to pick up some new bras and panties.  I paid for them with a gift card so no out of pocket spending for those items.


To finish out our summer we took advantage of some no-cost and low cost options for entertainment.  We packed a picnic and went swimming at the state park.  We got into the park for no-cost because we have a state parks pass.  On National Root Beer Float day the girls and I happily accepted a free root beer float at A & W.  It was delicious.  We also had 55¢ cones at McDonalds a couple times and 50¢ Frostys at Wendy's once after some fun family outings.


We even managed to go to the movies as a family.  We chose to go on a Tuesday evening which is discount night and tickets are only $5.50 each.  I used a $10 gift card to help defray the cost and only spent $6.50 out of pocket.  Another family outing was to go to our local Denny's restaurant for breakfast.  I had received a $5 OFF coupon in the mail to use on our bill.  We then used coupons to go to the girl's other favorite restaurant - Pizza, Pie CafĂ©, which allowed us all to eat dinner for only $5.00 each.


I earned some extra money house sitting for a friend and used it to take my girl's to the Western Idaho Fair with no impact to our budget.  I had originally planned to put that money right into the savings account, but since we hadn't managed any type of vacation this summer I felt just fine using it for the fair instead.  I didn't spend all of it, but I spent a good chunk of it.  We had a great time so in the end it was worth it.

My biggest expense this month outside of the normal monthly bills (and school registration) was for groceries.  I spent a fair amount stocking our freezers, pantry and refrigerator.  I was able to buy quite a few things for the girls to pack in their school lunches.  All of it was on sale or markdown, my favorite way to shop.


A trip to Franz Bakery for their day old bread selections filled up the remaining space in the freezer.  We are really quite set for food now, well into winter, and I couldn't be happier about that.

I used proceeds from egg sales to purchase two 50# bags of feed for the chickens.  They still have money left so I'll save that for more feed and a new bale of pine bedding for the coop later on.


I used my Fred Meyer rewards points and saved 20¢ a gallon when I filled the tank on my car last month saving me $2.40.  After that I did a couple surveys and used a coupon for bonus points to add extra points to my card for my next fuel purchase.  I also did a couple surveys and earned an additional 50 points each time.  Every little bit helps.

So this month I hope to continue to work on my debt elimination goal, add to my savings accounts and keep our spending as low as possible in the process.  Wish me luck! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...