Thursday, September 29, 2016

Making Simple Sturdy Cloth Napkins


I love to make and use cloth napkins.  I haven’t bought a package of paper napkins in nearly five years.  I find that cloth napkins are so much nicer and since I've made several sets I don't have to worry about running out between laundry days.

These are double sided so double thickness.  They hold up really nice.  Like I said, ours get used every day and after nearly five years I think they still look great.

Stitching on some vintage trim

I've posted about making cloth napkins before, but since I was getting ready to make a new set to put away for my future retirement house I thought it might be a good time to talk about them again.

Pressed and ready to finish
I made my pattern using two sheets of copy paper and some Scotch tape to construct a 12 1/2" square.  I find this is the perfect size, not too big and not too small.

Pinned at the corners

I start by cutting out two squares of cotton fabric.  Last time I made napkins I stitched them together with a 1/4" seam allowance, turned them right side out, pressed them and then did a simple straight stitch to top stitch along the edges.  Pretty dang simple.

Stitch around the edge with a 1/4" seam allowance leaving a small opening
I trimmed the edges and corners before turning right side out
This time I wanted to embellish the new ones a bit with some vintage trim I happen to have.  You could embroider them too, which is something I hope to do this winter on another set.  Then once the decoration is complete simply sew and top stitch as I described above.

Press again and topstitched along the edge about 1/8" 

I used natural 100% cotton muslin for these and I also like to use cotton calico prints.  I've made several sets of these napkins and given them as gifts so if you need an idea for Christmas, this might be just the thing. 

Do you use cloth napkins?  Have you ever made any?





10 comments:

  1. I like using cloth napkins better than paper and you can just throw them in the wash with other items. I use mainly homespun plaids and stripes. (I love plaids but they don't look good on me, so I make napkins.) I did make some for my camper out of some cute cotton fabric with little campers all over them. Have a great day. Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! I would love the camper fabric. I saw some with ants that I thought might make cute ones for a picnic basket.

      Delete
    2. If you would PM me your address, I will send you some of the camper fabric. I have it in red or turq. Paula

      Delete
    3. Really Paula?! Holy cow! That would so cool. Email me at thriftymom.boise@gmail.com and I'll get it to you. Bless your heart!

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful! We love cloth napkins and use them on a daily basis. One year for Christmas my brother gave me a Walmart gift card and I used it to buy fabric to make some really pretty napkins. My gracious mother made the napkins for me because as she and I discovered long ago, sewing is not my thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice you have someone to sew for you. Way to go Mom!

      Delete
  3. I've used cloth napkins for years. I've bought them @ garage sales & Goodwill for just about nothing. The ones I use most are dish towels I cut in half. They are really good cover ups. Esp, since I seem to drop everything I eat down the front of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without fail I drop something in my lap. Cloth is so much better than paper for messy people. Ha, ha.

      Delete
  4. I use dish towels ...lots of color in my stash...when the look worn they get moved to the dish cloth drawer...eventually I'll make my own...planning on some patchwork pot holders soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dish towels work really well, don't they? I've got potholders on my list too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...