Thursday, October 10, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - Door Knobs!



We got a sunny and warmer day last weekend so I took advantage of it and got busy.  I scrubbed up the forty year old doorknobs I'd removed from the old doors we used to have upstairs and they were looking pretty shabby.

Old becomes new again

40 years takes its toll

Once they had thoroughly dried I cut some Xs into a cardboard box and put the door knobs into those so they all stood upright.  I stuck the screws into another box I had used before for this very thing so I could paint them too.

Shiny and new!

Three coats of Aluminum Metallic (by Rustoleum) spray paint later and they were looking much, much better.  Good as new I'd say.  Because it was a bit chilly I carried the box inside to the garage where they sat for a few days so the paint could dry thoroughly and cure.


Then it was time to install them and I think they turned out fantastic.  Painting the doorknobs, screw heads and all the hardware was a great idea.  It saved them from going to the landfill and save me some $$ in the process.  I already had the paint so no special trip to the hardware store was needed.  Definitely a thrifty upgrade.


What do you think?  Worth saving?



14 comments:

  1. They were definitely worth saving--they have that pretty design around the face. They look really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are much prettier now I think. I'm glad we can reuse them.

      Delete
  2. Very much so! It does all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as they function as they should, then I'd say that's a great idea! Much of those items end up at our Restore (Habitat for Humanity) and I'm certain that they get re-used. Either way, it's a win for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never painted a door knob but now I have noticed some that need it. I was assuming I would need to buy new ones some day. Have you done it before? Does the paint stick or chip off because door knobs take quite a bit of use?
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the hinges and some knobs downstairs and surprisingly they are doing great. No chipping at all. I think it is because I used the metallic paint. That stuff sticks!

      Delete
  5. Knew you could use this..only good through Oct. 12.

    https://moneysavingmom.com/bath-body-works-free-14-item-with-any-10-purchase/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a win to save money. Keep the money in your own pocket. Renew and reuse something is so satisfying. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Door knobs are quite pricey,this is a thirfty solution.
    We bought a prefab house on 5 acres and it needed love.
    The doors were so drab and plain. We wanted to buy all new doors, but the kind I wanted had bead board panels and Cost a lot. So my husband bought bead board wall paper and some wood trim. He cut 2 panels of wall paper and pasted them on each door,framed the paper with wood trim then painted the entire door with good quality white paint. The results were stunning. It pays to be creative. The cost of replacing all my doors would have been substantial. This was a frugal solution. We saved so much money I was able to spulge on fancy new door knobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a brilliant solution! I love that beadboard wallpaper. It is wonderful stuff. Our doors were in pretty rough shape and I would've saved them and redone them if I could, they were literally falling apart. Cheap doors, but they lasted 40 years. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...