Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Crocktober Meal Prep #2



I had all three slow cookers going this time.  First I put four chicken breasts into my medium sized cooker along with a small can of red enchilada sauce and a block of cream cheese and let that cook on high for four hours.  I shredded that up with a fork and stirred it all together for a creamy chicken enchilada filling that would work well in a casserole with tortillas and cheese.  We eat it on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with some shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.  Wonderful!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Pears from our tree

I diced up pears from our tree to make a batch of pear butter to give as Christmas gifts to my co-workers this year.  I used my masher to make the pears saucy and added a large jar of applesauce I had in the pantry that no one was eating as well as cinnamon, allspice, cloves and ginger.  A few cups of sugar and I let that continue to cook until it thickened.  Then I spooned it into some jelly jars and water bath canned it.

Melting spent candle wax in the slow cooker

In my largest slow cooker I put a cup of water and some spent candle jars so I could melt the leftover wax in them.  I kept similar scented candles together and combined the wax.  I was able to make two more candles out of the leftover wax for us to light and enjoy.

Egg Roll In A Bowl

My last meal prep was to brown up some ground meat and combine it with three bags of coleslaw mix and a bunch of sliced green onions to make egg roll in a bowl.  This one I did in my wok and we enjoyed it for supper as well as a couple lunches throughout the week.

Making a candle

Pear butter

I'm definitely giving my slow cookers a workout this month.  How about you?  Any great meals prepared in a slow cooker lately?



20 comments:

  1. At this moment I have a roast beef I found on sale for $2.99 cooking in my crock pot. First, I threw in the leftover juice from last night's tomato salsa (the stuff that drips off of your chip and my husband wanted to toss). Next, after the meat is tender, I will add carrots, potatoes, peppers and onions.

    I didn't know you could add cream cheese when using a crock pot. I thought it would curdle so you add it last. How does it do if you left it in a pot all day?

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your roast sounds delicious. I've never had the cream cheese curdle (knock on wood). I use the full fat stuff too.

      Delete
    2. I wasted my time. They ate all of it yesterday! Now I have to cook supper again.
      Jeannie

      Delete
    3. Not a waste of time because they obviously enjoyed it. Don't feel bad. My crockpot meals didn't last as long as I'd hoped either. My young one is eating my out of house and home.

      Delete
    4. Today I made the Cheesy Chicken Enchilada and it was a success. I put the chicken in the crock pot early this morning with my homemade canned pickled peppers and then added the cream cheese tonight. We at it on tortillas with shredded salad greens, onions and canned salsa. It was a big success. I put all the ingredients on the table and each one made their own. We will do this again.
      Jeannie

      Delete
    5. It has been a huge hit at our house and now at my daughter's dorm. So versatile too. It's a winner!

      Delete
  2. I am going to use your idea for the enchilada chicken. I have a jar of green enchilada sauce in the pantry so no shopping for me.
    Sunday I got my 3 crocks in one base unit out and fired it up. Chili, spaghetti sauce and chicken crack. We have eaten some of the chili (1 night of chili frozen, will have the spaghetti tomorrow (freezing the leftover sauce) and have 2 night of chicken crack in the freezer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week was stew. I used to brown the meat before putting it in the crockpot. Now I just flour and season it before putting the pieces in the crockpot. Add in water, a bouillon cube, some chopped onion and let it go. I know some people put in carrots and potatoes but mom never did, so I do as she did and serve those on the side.

    This week, I made soup with leftover meat sauce, a half jar of pasta sauce, some leftover macaroni, and some frozen mixed vegetables. Didn't even need any extra seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't brown the meat anymore either and I think it still turns out just fine. Your soup sounds yummy too!

      Delete
  4. The egg roll in a bowl looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I absolutely love pears. I have to try that recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the egg roll in a bowl idea. Do you put any condiments like soy sauce on it?
    Love your use for melting candles. I have a whole bunch that would make up some nice new ones. I’ll go hunting for containers for the new candles as I’m melting used tapers.
    I usually brown close to 50 lbs of onions in the fall and package up to use throughout the year when cooking. I filled one of my large crockpots with onions and let it cook over night. The following morning I took the lid off to cook off the remains liquid. They turned out well and will do this method again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter likes soy sauce or sweet chili sauce, we both like Thai chili paste or sriracha. I've even used spicy mustard. So good!

      I love your idea with the onions. So clever! I never would have thought of doing that. :0)

      Delete
  6. What is chicken crack? Sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is wonderful!

      https://simplyaketolifestyle.blogspot.com/2019/06/keto-crack-pot-chicken.html

      Delete
  7. I love your recipe for Crack Chicken. I have made it 3 times now and found this last time that it freezes well and reheats wonderfully so this is great for me. My husband won't eat it. He doesn't know what he is missing. It is too "spicy" for him but just right for me. I usually have it over rice or toast but will try it on shredded lettuce. I have had it in a Burrito too but eat over a plate as it gets a little messy. lol. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where do you get the wicks for your homemade candles? Michaels?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...