Monday, October 14, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



Sunday was a busy day for me.  First thing was to pick up a "new" to us piece of furniture off of Facebook Marketplace.  I'm not going to tell you what I found yet because you have to know there is a project planned for it and I'm super excited about it too.  What I will tell you is that I only spent $20 and I couldn't be any happier about that.


Once we arrived home from picking up the furniture piece I headed off to Winco to finish up my winter stock up list.  I found pretty much everything I wanted to add to our pantry and stocked up on frozen veggies.  Our chest freezer is stuffed with every nook and cranny filled and our kitchen freezer is pretty full too.  The pantry has only a few gaps in it which I plan to fill in soon, but I am pretty happy with where we are at as far as groceries, toiletries and cleaning supplies go right now.


I got the doorknobs painted on Sunday afternoon and over the course of a few days got them all installed on the new doors in our upstairs hallway.  I love how they turned out and even more that I can officially mark this home improvement project as finished.  And even more than that these door knobs cost me $0!


Wednesday I left work early after only eight hours and took my youngest in to be fit with her new retainer.  We stopped in at Wal-Mart on the way home to get a few items and then I was able to pop in for a quick haircut at my salon, they had room for me, and get a much needed trim.  I cannot believe it had been almost a year since my last visit.  Time flies way too fast!  We were home by 6:00, ate some reheated leftovers for supper and I did a load of laundry and relaxed while my daughter did her homework.

So happy these are done! 😤

The weather really started to turn cold on Wednesday with record lows predicted for Thursday so much to my displeasure I turned on the main heat in the house.  A total month early!  We didn't even get fall!  We went from hot to cold with no in between so the higher electric bills will be starting up much sooner than usual for us.  I figured with the chickens molting in August we were likely in for an early winter.

I picked these up for a project I have in mind

Thursday morning we awoke to our first official frost at 27° and it was very cold outside.  Definitely not typical for us this time of year.  But we were warm and cozy inside our lovely little home so for that I have no complaints at all.

I added a few more cans of cat food and some treats to our winter stash

By Friday I was planning a productive weekend when I felt the beginnings of a head cold taking hold of me.  By the time I left work I was pretty much coming to terms with the fact that I was sick.  Sidelined by a cold is definitely not how I wanted to spend my weekend but that is pretty much how it ended up.  I snuggled in my jammies and a warm blanket with both kitties and made the best of it.  Plenty of rest, fluids and tissues while watching Vampire Diaries with my daughter.  Not the worst day I've ever had.

Egg Roll In A Bowl for dinner

I worked a lot of overtime last week.  I cannot believe the workload we have going on right now, but I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to earn some extra money.  With all the overtime I've been earning we've managed to get quite a bit accomplished and saved.  I decided, with that in mind, to bump up my 401(k) contribution up a percentage point and funnel some of those extra earnings in that direction as well.

I mended a hole in one of my socks

We enjoyed several golden delicious apples that we picked from our tree.  Nothing quite like enjoying food you've grown yourself.  Almost makes me think about giving it another try next spring at a garden.  Not sure if that is wise or not.


Investment cooking = pear butter to give as Christmas gifts and homemade chili.  I made extra chili so I could put some into the freezer for my college student.

Pear butter for Christmas

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Wiped down the bathroom cabinets.  Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed floor.

Kitchen -  tidied up the drawer of pans under the stove, vacuumed & spot mopped the floor, scrubbed trash can, cleaned the K cup coffee maker.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  Scrubbed tub & toilet in the bathroom, washed bath mat.  Daily swish & swipe.

Other - three loads of laundry, vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & entry.  Swept front porch & garage.

This gift card arrived in the mail Friday
My rebate on my Labor Day paint purchase

How was your thrifty week?


8 comments:

  1. I'm sure your college girl will love goodies cooked from home. I had to laugh yesterday at Church. One guy in college told my husband, "I'm just a poor college student". I looked at all his name brand new clothes and shoes and the latest haircut and I know his phone is top of the line and his car is super nice. And I thought. Wow, this kid and most of the college kids I see at this Church have way more disposable income than I do. lol. The girls are top of the line dressed and hair extensions, nails, crazy high heeled shoes. I am so glad my boys weren't worried about all the name brand stuff and if it was name brand it was because mom got it on a super sale or a consignment / thrift store. My youngest really bargain shops to this day on pretty much everything and my oldest is a work in progress but he is doing much more than he ever used to do. It hurts more to spend it when you earned it. lol. You have given both your girls a great gift teaching them they can have the things they need and wants (if they really want it) but they can also save doing it. That will take both your girls farther in life than anything else they might ever learn. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully none of my girls have ever been swept up in needing the latest and greatest. I'm so proud of their choices and continued hard work. I feel pretty confident that even if I was gone tomorrow (God forbid) they would do just fine making their way through life. :0)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see your next project! I know whatever it is will be great! I am committed to start a garden next spring, so I am going to go ahead and start prepping the beds this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really smart. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle gardening again or not. I'll put some thought into it.

      Delete
  3. Nearly a year without a haircut? Wow I could not go that long. My hair does not grow evenly and it gets noticeable if I go too long between trims. I have my husband trim my hair every other month, and even then it will be an inch or more longer on the right side of my head than the other side. I guess maybe it is because I chew my food more on that side or maybe the side I sleep on. In any case it is convenient, free and I save the hassle of dealing with bad haircuts from the salon having my husband trim my hair for me. It easily saves me hundreds a year and it takes him about 20 minutes to trim my hair, less than the time it would take to drive to the salon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it had been that long myself. Time flies. I do trim it between cuts. You are so lucky, I wish I had someone who could do that for me. No one in my circle is quite that talented and its hard to do your own.

      Delete
  4. I would not do it myself, that is for sure. I am not good with scissors and my boys fired me after the one time I tried to give them each a haircut, it became my husband’s job. He cuts my mom’s hair too and I color her hair. I offered to cut her hair once and she gave me a firm NO!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...