Thursday, October 3, 2019

How Much Did The Upstairs Hallway Project Cost?



My initial plan was to knock this project out over the Labor Day weekend.  That didn't happen.  It dragged out over the course of three weeks, but it is done (except for doorknobs) and I am sooo very happy about that.  I am also really happy with the final cost of this project as well.

The stairwell completed and painted

I knew the hallway project was going to be a costly one as I had decided to replace all of the doors upstairs.  They were old, dated and one of them had a hole punched in it from when I first purchased the house.  It was a big day for me when I pulled out those doors and hauled them to the dump.  It was an even bigger day when I went to Home Depot to buy new ones!

Doors!  Oh happy day!!

It was Labor Day weekend and Home Depot had a lot of specials going on, but none of them involved doors, of course.  However, the guy that usually checks me out at the contractor's register was able to find a way for me to save $50!  I was so happy about that.  I did have to open a Home Depot charge account, not at all something I got excited about, but saving $50 on doors was a hard one to turn down so I did open the account.  Once the bill for the purchase of the doors came in the mail I marched my little fanny down to Home Depot and paid it off in full so no interest would accrue.

Lots of trim went up!

I used up as much scrap trim pieces as I could so I'd have very little waste.  I had plenty of carpet left from the master bedroom project so I didn't need to buy anymore to finish off the hallway.  I am planning to reuse all the doorknobs and hardware by spray painting them with silver metallic paint I already have.  This will save me the cost of purchasing new ones.

Two coats of really good paint make all the difference!

The final tally, once I added it all up, surprised me.  I was thrilled to get all of this done and not spend nearly the amount I was thinking it would cost.  Gift cards and rebates helped a ton so the money I'd saved up for the doors pretty much covered the cost of the entire project.  


And I still have money leftover!



2 comments:

  1. You might have answered this before, but I missed it. How do you accumulate so many gift cards? I am loving your remodeling and *maybe* you've inspired me to take the plunge myself. Your skillset far surpasses mine though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of different ways. My employer offers them as incentives through our health care program, I get rewards points on my credit card to cash in for them and I ask for them as gifts. Plus, every year at Christmas my employer gives us all a Visa gift card.

      You can pretty much learn to do anything and if not you probably have a friend that can! ;)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...