Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Lo Mein

 


Every once in a while I make a dish we refer to as Lo Mein.  Quite simply is it seasoned meat and vegetables in a sauce and tossed with noodles.  With this in mind you can imagine all the wonderful combinations of Lo Mein you could make.

 


The last time I made it I used thinly sliced beef sirloin steak as our meat.  A combination of frozen and fresh vegetables as well as some onion. 

 


Our sauce was a combination of items I already had on hand to use up such as hoison sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, along with crushed garlic and dried powdered ginger.

 


I began by heating up a big pot of water to a boil and cooking up some rice noodles.  They are delicious and perfect for this dish, however spaghetti or linquine is also a great option.

 


With the pasta cooking I started sautéing the chopped onions, sliced peppers and sliced mushroom in a combination of olive oil and sesame oil.  I really love the flavor sesame oil adds to my asian inspired dishes I cook.

 


Once the vegetables were what I like to call crisp tender I added the beef and stirred that around until it was just slightly pink.  




Then in with my sauce.  As soon as it began to bubble I grabbed a spoon for a quick taste test.  This is where I adjust my flavors to our preference, but in this case we were happy so I added in my frozen vegetables, in this case some leftover broccoli.

 




After a few minutes I removed the meat from the heat, drained the noodles and tossed it all together.  And that's it.  Ready to serve and enjoy.

 


One thing I find about making this is that it is the perfect menu item when you have a bunch of odds and ends to use up in the fridge.  This time I was able to clean up a bottle of hoison sauce, a jar of crushed garlic, a bag of frozen broccoli, part of an onion, some leftover mushrooms, a bag of baby carrots and half a red bell pepper.

 


It is always different each time I make it but very good no matter what.  Do you do anything like this?

 

10 comments:

  1. I use a version of this recipe fairly frequently.
    You're right, it always comes out differently each time I make it, but
    even so, I think it's better than anything we can get at a nearby
    restaurant.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233446/lo-mein-noodles/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make something for breakfast we call "Kitchen Sink Hash Browns." It's based on the Poor Man's Meal idea by that wonderful older Italian cook, Clara. (You can see her cooking it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA&t=256s ) Basically it's chopped cooked potatoes plus plenty of chopped onion -- then whatever meat and veggie choices you want to add, from hot dogs to bacon (add that first, so everything cooks in the fat), even leftovers from restaurant meals. I'll also chop and put in broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, carrots, etc. Even a few spoonfuls makes a difference. Once the potatoes are mostly cooked, add everything else and stir until hot and bubbling. Sprinkle with a little cheese (more than one type makes it extra-good) and serve hot. It's one of the Brick's favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a variation of it ala Korean style. I try to recreate my mother's dish, in Korean it's called Japchae. It's a coincidence that you posted this and my daughter just yesterday requested it for Thanksgiving! Since we won't be having Thanksgiving at my mom's this year (thanks a lot covid) I'll be making dinner here at home. I grew up with traditional Thanksgiving fare accompanied by a few asian sides and this is one of them. And you're right, it's a delicious way to use up odds and ends :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love recipes with memories. It will be just us girls this year too. We usually do turkey and all the trimmings plus rice. My youngest insists there must be rice.

      Delete
  4. I always do a Friday frittata, as did my Italian grandmother, to use up my odds and ends but this looks great, I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest is not an egg fan. I really wish she was. I love a good frittata.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...