Friday, May 28, 2021

A Thrifty May Recap

 


TO BEGIN WITH:  I began the month of May with $63 still left in my checking account, $2 plus a handful of change in my wallet and, not surprisingly since I didn't work much in April, two thirds of a tank of fuel in my car.  We were still very blessed once again to have full cupboards and no immediate needs or wants.

 


NEXT STEPS:  With a much more limited income for the time being (literally half right now) I tried to be very wise with the money I was earning so I did not need to dip into our savings or emergency fund.  In April I used $400 from our Emergency Fund to bridge the gap putting $100 of that back at month end.  I put the remaining $300 back on my first payday so it is now fully funded once again and ready in case we need it.  In the meantime we have cut our expenses to the bare bones.

 


WAYS I SAVED $$:  We got very creative with our grocery shopping.  We used up a gob of store Monopoly game winnings to bring home seven bags of FREE groceries!  That was a huge boost for us.  I used proceeds earned from selling items on eBay to pay for the remainder of our grocery purchases.

 


WAYS I EARNED EXTRA $$:  I filled a new prescription at my pharmacy and was eligible for another $25 grocery gift card at Albertson's.  I also redeemed my credit card rewards points and purchased a $25 gift card to Albertsons for groceries.  That adds $50 to my grocery store gift card stash.  I sold some things I had listed on eBay as well as from my Etsy store which provided exactly what we needed to fund our grocery expenses this month.  That was very fortunate.

 


LOOKING BACK:  In spite of everything, amazingly, I am still debt free.  I am so incredibly grateful to be able to say that too because I was more than a little bit worried about that.  With a very large hospital bill, a ton of doctor visits and additional testing I wasn’t sure how it would all play out, but I had saved ahead into my HSA to cover my insurance deductible amount and then some so that was HUGE for me.  It made all the difference in the world!

 


LOOKING AHEAD:  Even though my income will be much lower for a little while longer I have continued with and met my retirement savings goals this month and will do so next month too (fingers crossed).  I will continue to make the same monthly deposits into my HSA as well as that is obviously very important and I want to build that back up.  I will continue to do my best to sell things on eBay and in my Etsy store to help supplement my income for the smaller monthly expenses we incur, such as gas and groceries, and maybe have a little more to add to savings.  We shall see.

 


I am really happy and more than a little relieved with how things have gone this month.  I am very hopeful that June is going to be just as great.  Once again I'm determined to see that it is and will try to do everything that is within my power to make it happen.

 

18 comments:

  1. You are doing great! I feel so sad that the cost of health care is such a huge burden to people, but it's great news that your HSA allowed you to be prepared as much as possible. Congrats on remaining debt free, throughout this challenging process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I completely agree. The cost of healthcare is egregious but I am incredible grateful I was able to load my HSA. Now to reload it in case I need it again.

      Delete
  2. Your blog gives me inspiration. I often feel like the lone soldier in my chosen lifestyle. We're not as thrifty as you, to my dismay. Although, a good part of that is because my husband has certain areas, that is to say, the kids, which he indulges, mostly in terms of eating out. On the other hand, these are kids who have no compunction about shopping at thrift shops first for all their needs, and giving/receiving regifted items, so I can't really complain.
    I've informed the family that June is to be another no-spend month. They're on board, although, actually, it's not as if they have a choice! My rules are a bit different than other people's. Ultimately, barring an amazing sale on meat, say, $3.99/lb for rib eye steaks, I will attempt to avoid stores. But, the question remains, what if you happen to be in a store and find a great sale on something you use? If it's a gift, I will buy it, but deduct the ORIGINAL price from the budget, not sale price. In the case of great meat prices, I decrease the following month's food budget by the amount spent. I find these challenges FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now all of my months are low spend, but I decided to be extra thrifty this month and stay out of the stores as well. It is always hardest when there are great buys on items we use. I. Must. Be. Strong. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a month for you, lots less income and still you made it! Congratulations and thank you for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to mention all the taxes you did not pay with your HSA pre-tax deposits!!!!

    Congratulations on a terrific Money May :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    Wow! You are so inspiring: Despite some serious adversity in recent weeks, you have managed to maintain your budget and remain cheerful, upbeat and an inspiration to those of us who struggle with organisation and sensible money management. I don't have words for how much I admire you and the ways in which you have helped this chaotic person get at least something of a grip!

    I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    Big hugs,

    Heloise XXX


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heloise. All of my lovely readers like you have helped me far more than you might realize. I'm so grateful to you. Take care my friend.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I just found your blog and am looking forward to new posts. I am newly retired, so in a different time of life, but your attitude is inspirational to all ages. My monthly food budget is four times yours so I'm on the lookout for ways to lower it. I really like the real life details you provide. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t remember. Are you mortgage debt free as well? Either way that’s an amazing accomplishment considering your hospitalization!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did a re-fi last year. You can click on the link above for all the details about my debt free journey. :)

      Delete
  8. I don’t usually comment but want you to know how much I appreciate your blog and your outlook! Thank you for the time you spend! Congratulations on managing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am glad you have decided to comment. It means the world to me. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...