Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Super Easy & Thrifty Tuna Casserole

 


I recently posted how I use super thrifty meals intermittently in our meal plans to help us stretch our extreme grocery budget.  My goal is to serve delicious and nutritious meals my girls want to eat and this tuna casserole recipe is one of their favorite thrifty meals.

 

Just a handful of inexpensive ingredients

Tuna Casserole 

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 soup can of milk

1 can tuna packed in water, undrained

1 7oz package pasta

Salt & pepper, to taste

 

Combine the soup, milk & tuna

Salt & pepper to taste plus a little dried parsley

In a large sauce pan cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.  In the pan combine remaining ingredients, including the tuna juice.  Stir until thoroughly combined and bring to a light bubble.  Remove pan from heat, add pasta and stir to combine.  Serves 4.

 

I always think shell pasta seems right for tuna casserole 😊

I serve a vegetable or salad on the side.  You can also stir in a cup of frozen peas.  I like to stir in a teaspoon of dried parsley when preparing the tuna sauce.  The girls like how creamy this is and how well it stays that way, even when reheating the leftovers.  No one likes a sticky dry tuna casserole and this recipe definitely isn't one of those.  Double it for more servings or for bulk cooking so you have leftovers.

 


Cost:  Tuna 69¢ + Soup 69¢ + Pasta 27¢ + Milk 20¢ = $1.85 (I purchased the soup on sale).  Canned green beans 50¢.

 

7 comments:

  1. I don't really like tuna, but I'm thinking I can do this with a can of chicken (or any shredded/chopped leftover protein). And I would definitely add peas to the mix - love them! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use green beans when anything calls for peas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my basic recipe. I use 12 oz. of egg noodles in order to feed all of us. I generally use cream of mushroom soup, as that's usually what I have on hand, but I've used cream of chicken, and cream of celery in a pinch. I sometimes add cheese based on my mood/kid's preference. I also confess to spicing it up with a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce I never add vegetables, but, like Practical Parsimony, I always use green beans in place of peas. This is one of my favorite pantry meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the different soups too and that works. My kiddos prefer the cream of chicken, but if I make it with something else they will still eat it. :o)

      Delete
  4. That seems so easy and yummy. I am putting it on my menu for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...