Thursday, May 27, 2021

May $100 Grocery Budget 2021

 


Wow!  Holy cow what a great grocery month this has been for us!  I was determined heading into May to try my best to keep our expenses as low as possible and I think we managed to accomplish that, especially in the area of our grocery spending.  Most importantly I stayed within budget.  


I began my $100 grocery budget with an extra $5.65 leftover from the previous month.  I spent $98.53 leaving me with $7.12 to roll over and use next month.  Of our $25 nonfood budget I spent $10.56 on a few toiletry items that I plan to use as stocking stuffers including toothpaste I picked up for only 79¢ a tube.

 

Stocking stuffers for $1 each

At the beginning of the month I did a small shop at Fred Meyer to pick up only items that were on sale or marked down and I came away with quite a bit for not a lot of coin which made me very happy.  Then the young one and I did that great shopping haul at Albertson's which I paid for with one dollar and a penny that has been floating around in my wallet for months.  We worked off of those two shopping trips the better part of the month.

 

Our fantastic Albertson's freebie haul

Mid month I supplemented what we had on hand with a half gallon of whole milk I purchased on sale for 77¢ (loss leader) at Fred Meyer plus a couple nice markdown items and we kept on trucking.  I stopped in at Cash & Carry (or whatever they call themselves lately) and picked up a half gallon container of cream and a five pound bag of grated cheese to round out our current stock.  That cream and the cheese will last us for a good long time.

 


Near the end of the month I shopped once again for loss leaders and sales items which included chicken breasts for 99¢ a pound, sliced cheese for $1.49 per package as well as strawberries and mandarin oranges on sale to supplement our existing produce.

 


I did do quite a few small shopping trips this month, but when you add up the totals and see how much I didn't have to spend it makes the effort well worth it.  We got an awful lot for the money I spent.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I have to chuckle at the deodorant. I put things like deodorant and toothbrushes in stockings as well. Eldest can only stand Sensodyne (it's expensive) and always gets a costco box of it every Christmas. If I find it on deep markdown, I pick it up, and will tuck it in his Easter basket. On my grocery shopping trips, I always scour aisles for closeout HBA's for gifts, particularly now that DD has challenged us to go cruelty free as much as possible. I guess the point of my response is that, like you, when I do go shopping, since I don't go that frequently, I spend lots of time walking the aisles looking for deep markdowns and closeouts, and then plan my meals around those. I know you're supposed to meal plan then shop, but I seriously can't remember the last time I went to the store to get a specific item other than a prescription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you cruise the aisles looking for opportunities. I meal plan completely backwards. I shop and then meal plan off of what I have on hand. Saves me a ton of $$.

      Delete
  2. Very, very well done!
    I love reading about your successes. I live in AK & food is never as inexpensive as your area so I live vicariously by reading your posts.
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaska and Canada do have much higher food prices. I'm pretty lucky as far as that goes.

      Delete
  3. Your deals just amaze me - we don't get anything like that here - we have a choice of 2 grocery stores (Safeway & Raley's, so on the expensive side) and Sam's or Costco...the deals have been terrible - I can't find bone-in chicken less than 99 cents/lb and normally, this time of year I can get it for 69 or 79 cents....very discouraging!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grocery prices have been crazy since the start of this pandemic.

      Delete
  4. And, what was your total for the month? You did well on shopping. I buy things like deodorant on sale for stocking stuffers. I also find what is in the store on sale or cheap and plan meals from that.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...