Monday, May 3, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


I have been cleared to return to work on a part-time basis (20 hours this week) and today is my first day back.  Hurray! It is a relief to be heading back to the office, even if it is only part-time.  It is still progress!

 

Pan seared salmon & dill sauce with sauteed squash

Over the weekend and pretty much all day Monday we got some much needed and appreciated rain.  We were able to keep the chill off the house with just our living room fireplace which was very nice.  Our latest power bill reflected our efforts to conserve which I really appreciate as my paychecks will be dwindling for a little while.

 


I did some meal prepping on Monday and Tuesday.  Simple things so I could use up odds and ends I had in the freezer (leftover roasted chicken) and fridge (veggies, minced garlic, rendered  bacon fat & some condiments).

 


Thursday morning I was feeling a bit stir crazy.  The weather was beautiful so I headed outside to soak up some sunshine, breathe some fresh air and pull weeds.  I sat on my bum on my driveway and pulled the weeds in our gravel parking area next to it.  Because of all of the rain we'd had earlier in the week they came up super easy and less than half an hour I had a nice sized pile to toss in the trash.  It felt good to be outside as well as somewhat productive at the same time.  My "new normal".

 

Edith comes to visit me regularly

Since I've been home I've been letting the chickens out every day to forage in our fully fenced yard.  They've been doing a great job keeping up on the weeds for me so I don't have to worry about them in this area.  The hens love to run around in the yard and I love watching them.  They are so much fun.  Edith has come in a few times to visit with me.

 


I washed my winter coat and gloves and put them away until I need them again late next fall.  I've had this coat for fifteen years and it still looks like new.  It was an investment piece and has held up nicely and served me very well.

 


I cleaned and reorganized the cabinets under the kitchen sink and in our downstairs bathroom.  I was able to purge a few more items and get them out of the house.  I also added a paperback book to the donation bag in the garage.  I also tidied up the junk drawer in the kitchen and purged a few items from there as well.

 

Black bean soup

THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Tuna casserole, salmon & sautéed vegetables, stir fry w/shrimp, navy bean soup (from the freezer) tacos & taco salad, nachos, chicken fried rice.  I made a batch of black bean soup for the freezer 

My darling oldest daughter came by and raided the pantry for food, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, toiletries and T.P.  I'm so happy I am able to load her up with necessities to help her out and keep her going.

 


THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - vacuumed & mopped floors.  Cleaned cabinet under sink, scrubbed sink, cleaned mirrors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room -  Vacuumed & mopped floors.  Cleaned cabinet under the kitchen sink.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Scrubbed sink, vacuumed & dusted, mopped bathroom floor.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - two large loads of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways.  Mopped both entryways.  Swept front porch, sidewalk, driveway & garage.  Pulled a nice pile of weeds.

 


THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I washed out a couple Ziploc bags to reuse, I got every last bit of mustard out of the container after it was upside down in the fridge for a couple weeks, I added some water to an "empty" laundry detergent jug, gave it a good shake and had enough soap to do one more load.  I trimmed my bangs.  I mended a couple pieces of my daughter's clothing that was in need of repair.

 


THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  I listed more cards (note cards, thank you and birthday) for sale in my Etsy shop and sold something on eBay.  My goal is to earn enough to cover our groceries and nonfood items.



How was your thrifty week?

 

8 comments:

  1. Aw, look at Edith! 🐓 I’m glad you are feeling better, enjoy your work week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar week to yours. Got the leftovers out of the refrig and made foods for my husband who east keto. He cooks the main stuff and I do things like devilled eggs, cut up veggies and make sugar free jello. He will eat broccoli and cuc's, etc... but I find he is a person who doesn't care much for the prep work so I get it out of the way so we don't have food waste.
    I get laundry soap for next to nothing and TP on good sales - when they have them and I have instructed my son over the years to check with me before he goes for certain items. Condiments too. I don't mind helping out as I have the time to get the deals and he works a lot. I hate to see money wasted on items I can get for next to nothing and help him out. I also supply a friend of his with laundry soap. She is single and has a 14 year old and a grown daughter but she has the 2 grandkids a lot. Just organized the pantry areas and have a small box of use it up items. Everything is clean and clear again so I can see a few holes. Heading to Oregon for 2 weeks to get my son's ashes and belongings. He travelled light the last few years so I have some of his stuff here that means something to him and one bag to pick up in Oregon. He valued people over things the last 4 years of his life and it shows by how many people have reached out to us that knew him in Oregon and TN. Take care and have a great week. Don't be surprised if going back to work even part time gets you tired especially the first week or two. Listen to your body and rest if you need too. (Sorry, spoken like a mom.lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your husband are a good team in the kitchen. ;) I do the same thing when I find good deals at the stores and have extras or I make sure and tell my friends about them so they can stock up too. I don't like it when money, food or anything for that matter gets wasted.

      My thoughts and prayers are with you as you head to Oregon. He sounds like a wonderful person, like his mama.

      And thank you for the advice! :o)

      Delete
  3. So glad you are taking it easy and taking care of yourself! As moms, we don't always do that! I've been crafting like crazy with stuff for my tier trays....that is my relaxation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Sue. I think crafting is so important. Especially right now.

      Delete
  4. No this week, but several years ago I mailed items I found on sale to my daughter in NY. The postage was covered by secret shopper job where I had to mail something every week. So, I chose to mail to her, Helping her made me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...