Friday, May 14, 2021

A Christmas & Budget Update

 


Christmas 2021.  Well, this is going to be a much different affair this year than what I had originally planned and that is completely okay!  At the beginning of the year I was off to a really good start when I hit up some super post-Christmas sales and believe it or not I still have a bunch of stuff leftover that I acquired from post-Christmas sales the year before.  So instead of having a bigger budget this year my plan is to use up the items I already have on hand and see just how well I can do without spending any more money.  Or very, very little.

 

I have loads of yarn in my stash

I had already done some crafting at the beginning of the year by pulling out yarn and making a few gifts.  I even wrapped and tagged them already using boxes, gift wrap and tags I already had in my gift wrap organizer.  Then I put them into a banker box I had in the garage and labeled said box.  It is now sitting next to my very full "gift box" in our guest room closet.  I plan to do some more crafting between now and Christmas.

 


Food gifts will be a big part of the holidays this year.  I will be using items from our pantry to make cookies, candies and any other treats I feel inclined to give out this year.  I also have a shelf in the pantry full of jams I've made recently that I can give out.  We've definitely got the food gift supplies handled.

 

I made these by recycling the cards we got at work
I think they turned out so pretty! 😁

Christmas cards will not be a problem as I've already made the ones I planned to send and have plenty of stamps leftover from last year to get them mailed out this year.  I like to write a letter and print it out to tuck inside each letter.  I have plenty of toner as well as an large assortment of papers so I'll be able to easily accomplish this task as well.

 

We lack for nothing

Since I'm in downsize mode I have no plans to purchase anything in the way of decorations or décor this year.  If I do decide I want something new I will use items I already have on hand to make something.  Otherwise, what we have in our Christmas tote is going to be just fine.

 


As far as food goes, and food is a huge part of our holiday celebrations, we'll make do with what we have and I'll use our existing grocery budget to carefully acquire the holiday groceries as I've done many, many times in the past.  I am not concerned at all about going without.  It shouldn't even be an issue.

 

It always seems to work out splendidly

Maybe next year I'll be able to have the bigger budget and buy my darling girls something lavish, but this year I'll be sticking to my thrifty ways and it will be another modest, but very lovely Christmas.  And true to form, we won't be going without anything.  I have plenty of time to prepare so it will be a grand Christmas.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I use my one opinion survey site for gift cards for christmas. I have 150 dollars so far in there for this christmas so I am off to a great start. I also shop clearances year round for gifts to tuck away. I hit up a great 90 percent off clearance on gift wrap at CVS about 4 years ago and bought all the big rolls they had, I am set for years and years. I always plan ahead for Christmas so it never takes me by surprise or unplanned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You just reminded me. I have a $40 gift card I'd set aside for Christmas. Whoo hoooo!!!

      Delete
  2. When it comes to Christmas (and other special occasion) goodies, check your local Dollar Tree's freezer section. We've been to several across the country, and I've bought Vietnamese spring rolls (10 in the pkg); potstickers, both pork and chicken (8 in pkg)...and my newest find, a pound of cheese ravioli, more than enough for two of us -- and all of these are just one dollar each! They really pep up a meal, and it's easy to keep a few packages in the freezer for last-minute or emergency company. One package of these, plus some soup, and you've got a meal for you and Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our Dollar Tree gets some of these things. Ours isn't very well stocked these days. I'll keep my eye out and fingers crossed. :)

      Delete
  3. I am a bit behind on where I typically am on Christmas preparations, as a result of having several no-spend and low-spend months. Also, we are planning another move in the year, so I am paring down. We may even move to our old place in September, (which is smaller) while we wait for our build to be complete. So, I'm not looking to put much in our house! That said, just today I found some cruelty free roll on perfume for Daughter in her favorite scent, vanilla! I have amassed several gift cards, which have also given me either gas points or Bonus Cash at Rite Aid. I found a gorgeous, never-before-worn short sleeve, 100% cotton Docker's man's button down shirt, in DH's size at the thrift shop on Saturday for just $5.00. I was so excited, though, that I gave it to him when I got home. It's early, though, and, like you, I keep my eye out all year long for perfect gifts. If push came to shove, and I purchased nothing else (except rum to feed my fruitcakes) I think we'd have a great Christmas nonetheless. With the exception of buying a real tree, we reuse our decorations year after year, and the traditions we have don't cost much. Our traditions center around the food, decorating, and, for me, anyway, cardmaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the best with your move. Its a lot of work moving. Great finds!! Like you I love our simple little traditions.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...