Thursday, May 6, 2021

Answers & A BIG Surprise

 


A couple weeks ago I had a follow up appointment at my cardiologist's office.  I was hoping to get to return to work because I was feeling a bit anxious about my job and my finances.  I've since put all of that worry on the back burner.  It isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and financially we'll be fine so no need to worry about that in the first place.  But I'm a worrier and that is what I do.  As you already know I have been released back to work on a part time basis (I went back on Monday) for up to three months.  I'll take it.

 


At my appointment however, I finally got an answer as to what the heck is going on with me and my heart.  I wasn't prepared for the answer and it literally took me by complete surprise.  It turns out I have a congenital heart defect in my left lobe of my heart.  I was born with it and it has been plaguing me my entire life going undetected and undiagnosed for 56 1/2 years!  I have a what?!!

 


But in looking back it all makes so much sense now.  I've been struggling with this my entire life, but as my cardiologist explained, this is completely normal to me because it is all I've ever known.  I've nothing different to compare it with.  This is by far not my first series of cardiac events, but it is the most serious of any of them.  I've had so many instances in my past that have seemed odd not only to me, but the people around me and now I know why.  Holy cow!  Also, I misunderstood before, but the heart issue is what caused my stroke, not the other way around.  Holy cow!!

 


It took a fair bit of time to work through all of the information I was given, understand that information and get my head wrapped around it.  All the times I've gone to the doctor and been told it was anxiety, indigestion, an asthma flare up or stress.  All the times I have thought I was physically out of shape, coming down with the flu, even a bit touched in the head.  I remember doctors telling my mother I was a "hysterical" child/teenager.  No I wasn't!  I was having heart problems!  Oh my gosh!!

 


While this new information is scary as heck in a really weird way I am so relieved.  I have a lot more tests and doctor appointments in my future to determine the best course of action moving forward and that's okay.  I'm up for it and I know I'm getting the care I need.  Finally.  There is a surgery to correct this defect but it is considered extremely risky and we want to make sure before I venture down this path that there isn't something else we can do instead.  Fingers crossed there is.

 


I'm going to be honest here.  I know that every day I am given is a true gift and there are no guarantees in this life.  When it is our time, it is our time and I've had a really great life.  So many things I'm grateful for and have been blessed with.  Not trying to be morbid here, it's just how it is.  I am content in what I've had this far and whatever the Lord decides is up to Him.  My plan in the meantime is to move forward toward having the best life I can and hopefully, if I'm lucky, I'll still be here for a good long time to come.  And that these new doctors are going to fix me up and keep me going.  What more can a girl ask for?  It is all good!

 

21 comments:

  1. OMG, so glad you have such good doctors! You are right every day is a gift. That's something I forget at times. I am glad to hear you are doing well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia. I am so fortunate with the medical care team I have right now.

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! Your whole life explained! I do pray it can be fixed. And as a nurse, I want to know what the defect is, ☺️, but only if you want to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy? Next time I go to the doctor I'll have to have her write it down. I always think I'll remember it when they say it and then it completely escapes me.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you have a good team of doctors on your side. I am going to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what news! It must be scary as heck for you, BUT I firmly believe the devil you know is the better devil to have hanging around. Keeping fingers crossed for you that non-invasive/non-surgical treatment will help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I'd rather have answers. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I'm with Treaders - knowing the answer allows you to have more information & control of the necessary decisions for your care. Sending you all of the positive thoughts & virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like every Dr who ever disregarded your complaints and slapped labels on you to know this. Women and children need to be listened to...we know our bodies best.

    I'm glad you have a Cardiologist who did NOT GIVE UP! She needs to be celebrated.

    I pray for your best treatment plan and best outcome. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's line them up!! Knock some heads. LOL

      My whole team now is female doctors and so far they have all been fantastic! Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  7. Here's to a smooth road to repair with the least intervention possible. Hail science! And please accept prayers from me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers headed your way. It is indeed in his hands. Apologies for the misspellings of this Arabic phrase, in·shal·lah , which I believe translates to if allah wills it. I use the concept and just swap it out to if god wills it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow...I am so happy you have answers and good doctors! All will truly be well, especially with all the prayers we will offer for you and your family! Hugs from Mary in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word! So many mixed feelings! I'm so sorry that you have the unfairness of this condition when you lead so innocent, healthy, industrious and kind a life but I am delighted that your medical team has identified the problem and is working towards a solution.

    I'll be pulling for you and sending all my love as you navigate this season of your life: I know your strength and have no doubts that you will beat this thing hollow!

    Big love,

    Heloise Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you have much needed answers sweet friend! You will be in my prayers for healing. Please take it easy and know you have a lot of people who love you and are in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing. What is the name of the defect. We women are always judged when we do not measure up for the medical field. "Hysterical" ? So, femaleness was part of your problem? I am glad this is all figured out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your health challenges, but so glad you were finally given a diagnosis. Praying for healing for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...