Friday, July 16, 2021

100 Hikes

 


Recently I came up with the idea that I wanted to track and complete one hundred hikes when I retire.  I love to go hiking and get outdoors in nature.  I see so much and I love the beauty that surrounds me.  In the spring the creeks and rivers are running at full tilt from the winter snow melt and the wildflowers are abundant.  By summer the trees have fully leafed out and there are different flowers.  Fall is spectacular all unto itself with the changing colors and gorgeous foliage.  The crisp air, freshly fallen snow and glory of winter is breathtaking.  The places I can go.  The things that I will see.  The mountains I can climb.  Creeks, rivers, lakes, waterfalls.  It sounds glorious.

 


I have been putting together my gear and have already tried some of it out.  You already know about my new hiking boots.  A couple weeks ago I picked up a tactical bumbag to carry supplies in around my waist and free up space and weight in my daypack.  I'm still working on the supplies part.  I also bought a telescoping hiking pole to try out and so far I like it.  I now plan to purchase another one to keep in Laverne.  I have a bright neon green safety jacket in the closet.  New gloves and a hat are on my list as well as socks and hiking pants with the zip off legs.

 

I love the Sawtooth Mountains

Another purchase I made is a gently used book off of Amazon listing a gob of hiking trails in the greater Boise area.  Even though I've lived in the area pretty much my entire life there are a lot of things I don't really know and feel I should.  I'm using it now.  This has given me the idea to pick up a few more books to keep in Laverne.  I won't always have internet access so maps, books and an atlas make a lot of sense to me. Plus, I like books so a handful of hiking and adventure books will be a good thing to have on hand.

 

No better place to greet the sunrise

I'm "practice" hiking at the  moment.  But I can tell you that since I created this goal I've been extremely excited about it.  I'm really chomping at the bit to get started.  One of the places I yearn to go is Yosemite.  And back to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  Glacier National Park is another one on my list that I haven't been to since I was a child.  The Olympic forest in Washington state too.  We have so many treasures in our country.  I'm just itching to get started.

 

16 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to plan!! I hope you reach your goal and lots more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas!!!!! If you would like, I have an 'Idaho' folder in my file cabinet. In it went every article I've ever seen on Idaho 'stuff to do'. You are welcome to borrow it for awhile.

    Good idea on the maps. We drove out to Prairie and Pine on the 4th as we'd never been. We didn't take a real map and the directional signage was not specific. We lucked out but sure wish I'd grabbed a real map!

    Happy Friday to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you make it to all your new and planned adventures. Hiking is not something I could get excited about, but I love hearing about your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.planetware.com/idaho/best-hiking-trails-in-idaho-us-id-29.htm

    It took me awhile to remember where this list was! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi, not sure if you know of this blogger in the UK but she takes wonderful hikes and posts photos ;). Might give you some ideas or inspiration. Her photos make me want to be in England in the summer rather than here in Phoenix ;). http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing. I'll check her out! :)

      Delete
  6. I have not been keeping up with your blog but did you know you can get a senior citizen life time pass to the National Parks? I think the age is 62. My hubby will qualify in about 1 1/2 months. I'm thinking we will get one because even if we just went to one park a year, it will pay for itself quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and that is definitely on my list, but I have a little more than 5 years before I qualify. :( That's okay. I can wait. :)

      Delete
  7. This is totally off the subject -- but I know how your kiddoes feel about Nutella. Amazon's Warehouse Deals has a really good price on a cup/jar combo right now:

    https://www.amazon.com/Nutella-Bundle-Chocolate-Hazelnut-Breadsticks/dp/B085T6Q7VW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nutella&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1626671271&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...