Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Did I Make The Right Decision?

 


Nine years ago the craziest thing happened.  The oven knob broke on our stove rendering it completely useless.  The shaft that holds the knob on was made of plastic and it completely sheared off.  I remember thinking at the time, after I got over the initial angst of it breaking, that thank goodness it snapped off when it was in the OFF position.  Otherwise it would've been ON with no way to turn it off.  If you want to read about that situation you can click here.  I think the biggest issue at the time was that not only were we low on funds, but we had just lost our TV in the living room previous to that.  Two major items up and went kaflooey.  Talk about testing one's resolve.  And no I did not ask myself "what's next?" because I didn't want to find out.

 

I have prepared a lot of great meals with this stove

At the time a new stove (or TV, for that matter) was completely out of the question.  I figured out how to make do in the meantime until I was able to come up with a solution.  Then that fall I was able to fix our stove.  At the time I had wrestled with whether or not to put money into the part to fix it or use it toward purchasing a new one.  After weighing the pros and cons I decided to go with my gut and ordered the part.  Not just a small part mind you, but the entire motherboard for the stove.  You can read about that repair here.  Was it worth the money and the time to fix it rather than to replace it?

 

I have no regrets!

You be the judge.  I still have the stove.  It still works.  And, knock on wood, I hope it will continue to work until I decide to move and sell the house.  But if not, it won't be a big deal this time because since then I've managed to set aside some money in our emergency fund.  Not having to use that money right now would be the best option, but knowing it is there if I need it is really nice.  I for one am really glad I decided to make the repair and that we've been able to continue to use the stove and oven all this time since.  The cost of the part and the time I spent doing the repair have more than paid for itself, in my opinion.  I think most people would've dumped the stove and bought a new one, but I'm not a huge fan of adding to the landfill if it can be avoided.  I don't like to waste anything and I love a good challenge too so fixing it was probably the right choice.  Looking back I am very happy with my decision.  What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. A knob on our stove recently was sheared off, accidentally. No way did I think that would have happened to anyone else!. And a few months ago a very close lightning strike knocked out the electricity for just a moment, but the end result is that it took out the freezer portion of the refrigerator. We have two large freezers in the garage to use in the meantime, but we've been trying to find a new motherboard for the refrigerator. We had surge protectors on the computers and TVs, but before this storm we didn't think about the appliances that have electronics connected to them (along with the refrigerator there's the washing machine and dryer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know you can have a surge protector placed on your fuse box? Then the whole house is protected.

      Delete
  2. Not sure where my comment went, so if this is a repeat, ignore it! We would not have had the guts to repair the stove ourselves. I like to think we WOULD have called in a repairman to give his opinion. However, I think my stove being out of commission would send me into a panic driven frenzy, and I'd be at Lowe's before the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it wasn't an issue since I worked in IT and this was a motherboard so for me just another day at the office. My biggest dilemma was whether or not it was worth the cost of the part. I do believe it was. :o)

      Delete
  3. You absolutely did! We recently replaced ours due to a fire inside of it and I hated to have to get a new one, but the repair cost and wait time for the part were just too much. That's great that you have been able to maintain yours and save that money. It certainly is the more desirable way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had caught on fire that would've been a whole different deal. I totally would've scrapped it and bought a new one.

      Delete
  4. If it still works perfectly well then you did the right thing plus there is one less unwanted item in the landfill.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...