Monday, July 12, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


Our heatwave has continued and once again we have enjoyed some record high temperatures throughout the week.  Sunday was Independence Day here in the United States.  Typically celebrated with BBQs and fireworks.  Since we were in the midst of a heatwave here in Idaho we opted to stay home and keep it cool and low-key.  My girls both had to work that day as well and I wasn’t really feeling up to making and event of the day or visiting friends.  We opted to eat a nice dinner and watch a movie.  It was just fine.

 

She thinks she's helping

Monday was our holiday off work and my daughter had an appointment for her annual physical and final round of childhood vaccinations.  Afterward I treated her to a trip to the thrift store to look at books (her favorite thing to do at a thrift store) and pick out a couple pair of capris length short pants she can wear to work.  They will also work for school and we found her an extra pair of jeans for school too.  I'm officially done with back-to-school shopping. For life!  Well, we'll see about that.

 


Tuesday (record high heat at 107°) my paycheck landed in the bank so I was able to pay a couple small bills and push the majority of my check into savings.  Whoo hooo!  I was so very excited about that.  It feels really nice to be able to continue with my savings goals.  I then went to work for five hours before heading out for the day and to yet another doctor's appointment.  I am beginning another round of doctor visits and testing once again (sigh).  It will be fine. I'm staying positive! J

 


In the realm of staying positive I was excited Saturday morning to head out and get moving.  The girl and I headed off into the foothills to try out a trail we've never been on before.  We were up at 6:00 and on the trailhead by 7:00.  It was a gorgeous morning and we were able to get a good hike in before the heat began to rise.  On the way home we stopped at a favorite park to stretch my legs.  I was having some good jello legs going on.  I'm so glad we stopped because we saw a deer and her twin babes in the wooded areas.  It was so amazing!  Nothing quite like nature's beauty to keep you uplifted.

 

Good morning mama

Her babies with their little bums to us

THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Leftovers from the week before, grilled turkey cheeseburgers, chicken egg roll in a bowl, tuna cobb salad, grilled sirloin steak & sautéed green beans, fresh green salads.

 


THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Cleaned sink & toilet, vacuumed floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Cleaned sink, vacuumed floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Moved the mattress and cleaned under the bed, washed all bedding & pillows, vacuumed & turned mattress.  Vacuumed & dusted.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - four large loads of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways.  Swept front porch.

 

All done!

THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I washed out a bunch of Ziploc bags to reuse.  I did not do any grocery shopping.

 

Scrambled eggs with chipotle Tabasco & avocado

THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  I finished up a refill punch card at the pharmacy and received a $50 gift card for groceries.  Yay!

 

Keeping it cool & simple

How was your thrifty week?

 

8 comments:

  1. There you go again, putting me to shame!!! I’m so proud of your strong ambition and determination! The deer were an extra special gift from God, just for you girls to see. ❤️ I pray your tests will show much improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! That was so special. What a treasure. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Love the positive attitude & thrifty wins. Nice work avoiding the grocery stores. I'm hoping we can avoid a "big" shop this week, and eat what we have on hand. My husband gets anxious when the food gets close to bare, so we'll see where we end up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest does too. I needed produce so Sunday I made a quick run for that.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I am not a usual commenter but wanted to thank you for the time you take, and the effort, on this blog! I read each post and really enjoy learning new ideas and seeing how you live a good life without spending a fortune. Thank you. I can’t wait to see you hit the road with Laverne ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved the deer! Last week, there were few bargains, so I bought little.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...