Tuesday, June 19, 2012

About Us

Wild Sunflowers - Lowman, Idaho

I thought I might share a little bit of my story with you so you can get to know me and my family a little better.  Up until now I have hesitated to share too much but now I feel comfortable doing so.  I love to write and share my ideas and thoughts and although I’m not the greatest writer I just love my blog.  I look forward to it every day and I really love the blogging community and those I’ve met through my blog.  You are all a terrific group of people. 

I married young in 1985 and we had a baby that same year.  A big beautiful boy born with a significant heart defect that was inoperable and unfortunately we lost him three days later.  It was a loss that rocked me and my husband to our very core.  We were so young and unprepared to deal with such a devastating event; we had no idea how to cope.  I got pregnant again the following year and two months later my marriage was over.  I think my husband was totally freaked out because he completely disengaged.  We separated in November of 1986 and divorced in February of 1987. 

I remember leaving my home that cold November night.  I was scared to death and had no plan whatsoever.  I had a high school education, some college, a part-time job and a car.  At least I had that much.  I moved in with my brother and his college roommate for three weeks until I was able to get my own place.  They were so good to me and slept on their couches so I could have the bedroom to myself.  His roommate even offered to beat the hell out of my soon to be ex-husband for me.  I didn’t take him up on the offer but it was a thoughtful gesture. J 

My new apartment was a dumpy little one bedroom attached to the back of my landlord’s house.  It was quaint and cozy.  I was very fortunate to have the best landlords ever.  They watched out for me and kept me company, helping me whenever I needed it.  I have stayed in touch with them to this day. 

In May of 1987 my son was born and I began my life as a single mom.  I’ve been one ever since.  I remember at that time thinking I’d probably be re-married in a few years and starting a whole new life, have more children.  It didn’t exactly work out that way; not for a lack of trying.  Instead I made a whole new life on my own. 

I went back to school and earned my certification in Ophthalmic Technology.  After graduation I went to work for an optical shop and moved to another town to be closer to my new job.  After three years I was promoted and transferred to their Bend, Oregon store.  We stayed in Bend for nine months.  There was a serious housing shortage and we were still stuck in a hotel room with no end in sight.  I made the decision to pack up and move back to Boise and get a new job once we got there.  I was lucky and found one right away at an optometric practice.  I stayed with them for eight years. 

At age 30 I had paid off my debts, student loans, car loan and had put aside enough money for a down payment on a house.  I bought the home I live in now.  I got busy right away updating and refurbishing, making it my own.  I love to work on my home.  Restlessness caused me to change careers.  In 1999 I was hired by an accounting firm as their receptionist.  I loved it.  I worked my way up and stayed with them until 2007 earning my license as a Certified Public Bookkeeper. 

During my time with the accounting firm I adopted my two girls.  In 2000 it was obvious to me that I wasn’t getting married anytime soon and I wasn’t getting any younger either.  My son was almost twelve and when I told him I wanted to adopt a little girl from China he sure surprised me.  He was all for it and my greatest supporter.  I started the process and in May of 2002 he and I traveled to Nanjing, China to pick up his new baby sister.  They gave her to me on Mother’s Day!  You can’t tell me that wasn’t meant to be. 

As soon as I got home from China I started the process all over again to adopt a second child.  I just knew I needed to repeat the process all over again.  Three years later my oldest daughter and I traveled to Guangzhou, China and picked up our newest addition.  Our family was now complete.  Shortly after adopting my youngest daughter, my son enlisted in the Army.  It was his lifelong dream and he was determined.  I gave him my blessing and sent him off to basic training in August of 2006.  He is now married and stationed in Colorado with his wife and son.  

So it is now just us three girls.  We are pretty close and tight knit and I hope and pray it stays that way.  I just love my children so much.  I miss my son as I rarely get to see him.  Two long tours in Iraq and a busy training schedule keep him away a lot.  When we do see him that time is precious.  Every day with my family is precious.  I am so fortunate and so blessed.   

So that is it in a nutshell, a little of our history to share with all of you.  It has been an amazing journey so far and I love continuing it every day. I can’t imagine that life can get any better but every day it seems to.  Isn’t that amazing?

7 comments:

  1. Very lovely story. You must really miss your son. So far, my oldest, an adult, is still at home. He'll be moving out soon, and I will miss him terribly. My two daughters are 17. We have such fun together. Although I'm their mother, I often feel they are my closest friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your story:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Jessiejack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading your blog about a week ago. I just told hubby last night, that I'm addicted and I can't stop reading. I have to find out how shes a single mom after all these years and has two young girls! What kind of shop does she have? Does she own or rent? Ha ha. Thanks for the clarification.
    I'm really loving your story so far.

    Lisa in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa I am so glad you've found us and are enjoying our blog. I appreciate your kind words so much. Everyday is such an adventure. I look forward to hearing from you again. Take care!

      Delete
  5. What an amazing story! I need to start at day one and catch up on all you've done in detail.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...