Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Canning List


While we were camping I had the opportunity to do some list making (one of my favorite things to do) and I made my list of all the things I plan to can this summer.  This is what it is looking like so far. 

·         Salsa
·         Peaches
·         Pears
·         Pickles
·         Plum Jam
·         Pear Butter
·         Tomatoes 

We are down to our last two jars of salsa that I canned in August so I am planning to make more next month.  I canned 12 pints and 12 half-pint jars last year so I will plan to do the same again this year too. 

We still have plenty of applesauce and other jams and jellies.  The plum jam is everyone’s favorite so we’ll do more of that this year and we are completely out of pear butter.  My oldest daughter loves pear butter. 

In order to get prepared and not feel the added expense of canning supplies I have been buying lids gradually over the past few months.  I add a box of lids to my grocery list every month to supplement the ones I have leftover from last year. 


The other day while I was at Walmart I was pricing their jars and supplies and I grabbed an extra box of the white plastic lids.  I love to use these to close up an open jar or when I am using my canning jars to store my pantry ingredients.  They cost me $2.88 for eight lids.  I use them a lot. 

I also clipped an online coupon for canning jars the other day.  I found it on Smartsource.com.  Save $3.00 on two cases of Ball or Kerr jars.  That is a great savings!  I also clipped a coupon from the Sunday circular for pectin.  I will save $1.00 on two boxes of Sure-Jell which is all I’ll need this summer. 
I am getting excited to get started and the fruit is already coming on.  Strawberries and cherries are ripe right now in our area.  Raspberries will be along soon too.  After that it will be time for plums, peaches, pears and tomatoes.  Later in the summer the blackberries will be ripe.  In the fall the apples and elder berries will be ready. 

Are you ready to get started?  What is on your list this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...