Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Macaroni & Cheese – A Five Ingredients or Less Recipe


About a year or so ago I submitted this recipe for consideration over at Frugal Living at About.com.  Erin Huffstetler, the host at Frugal Living had put out a request for your best 5 Ingredients Or Less recipe.  It was selected and featured on their site. I’m not sure it is my best recipe but my kids sure think so.  I thought I’d share it with you: 

Easy Macaroni & Cheese 

2½ cups elbow macaroni
1 can cheese or cream of mushroom soup
½ c. sour cream
1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste 

Cook macaroni until al dente, about 7-8 minutes.  Drain and return to pot.  Stir soup and sour cream into pasta.  Add cheese and stir again.  Salt and pepper if you wish.  Pour mixture into lightly greased 2 qt. casserole.  Cover with lid and microwave on high for 5 minutes.  Serve. 

Variations: 

Substitute Pepper Jack or Chipotle Cheddar cheese for a spicier version.
Substitute Swiss cheese and add cubed ham using the mushroom soup instead of the cheese soup.
Add sliced cooked hotdogs or polish sausages.
Add cooked ground beef for your own version of cheeseburger macaroni. 

I like to garnish mine with a little fresh cracked black pepper.  So simple and so quick to prepare!  Surely a kid pleaser too.  Much better tasting than the blue box macaroni and I think it takes the same amount of prep time.  Close anyway. 

Do you have a favorite recipe that uses five ingredients or less?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...