Thursday, June 7, 2012

Going Without vs. Making Do – Dead TV


I have to be honest.  I have a really hard time going without the things I want or need.  Sometimes I get really upset about it.  I’ve pouted, felt sorry for myself and I’ve even cried over a particular situation, not to mention the stress I put on myself. 

But time and experience have taught me that it really is all about my attitude.  Am I going without or am I making do with what I have?  I have decided I prefer to make do.  Case in point: 

Three weeks ago I turned on the TV in the living room and it blew.  It no longer has a picture.  I have been anticipating this day for quite awhile as it had developed faint white lines across the top of the screen about a year ago and it has gradually become worse with time. 

At first I was upset.  “Nooooo, not now!” 

This is the TV I can see from the kitchen and my desk while I work.  The other TV, also a much smaller one, is in the family room far from view.  It is the one my children watch their cartoons and movies on.  I don’t particularly care for that one. 

I was midway through the trailer project and quite committed.  Adding the expense of a new TV is not an option right now.  So I told myself – “Don’t panic!  The one in the family room will have to do for now”.  L  And guess what?  It has. 

So instead of listening to the TV droning on in the background while I cook or work at my desk I’ve been listening to music or enjoying the peace and quiet.  Kind of a nice change.  When I do want to watch something I go into the family room and enjoy it on that TV. 

My attitude has been rewarded.  My parents bought a new TV last week and they called to tell me they are lending me their old one until I can afford to purchase the new one I want.  Funny how things work out. 

Eventually I will replace my broken TV but it really isn’t and can’t be a priority for me right now.  There are other, far more important, things to be concerned about right now.  For now I will just make do. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...