Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Vacation – Week 1


Our first week of summer vacation was fantastic!  We did a lot too!  Maybe a little too much. 

Monday – we went to the Library and the girls signed up for the Summer Reading Program.  It is a fun program that allows children to earn prizes for an allotted amount of time spent reading each day.  They picked out two books a piece to get started with.  Then we went to the $ store for a little budget minded spending, which we kept to a minimum.  We hurried home to grab our bikes for a ride to the park and a picnic lunch.  We even took our library books and read a little. 

Tuesday – we spent most of the morning baking banana, zucchini and whole wheat breads.  Made enough for a couple of weeks.  Then off to the park again and to eat our lunch.  We didn’t stay long because a big storm blew in and it started to rain.  We finished off the afternoon watching old episodes of the Carol Burnett Show on YouTube.  The girls loved it! 

Wednesday – We worked out in the yard and cleaned up the mess from the storm on Tuesday.  Then rode our bikes to the park again and had another picnic.  The girls are really enjoying this part of our day.  When we got home we started a potholder project.  I’ll post more on this later.  It literally took up the remainder of our day and ran into the evening, but I had so much fun giving them my first sewing lesson. 

Thursday – We started out early and headed to Home Depot to pick up some supplies we need for a couple of upcoming projects, including re-staining the deck.  Then off to the grocery store to re-stock our produce.  We’ve gone through salad fixings and fresh fruit like crazy lately.  We went to the park once again and ate our lunch.  We stayed about an hour as the girls were anxious to get back to make some ice cream and finish the potholder project.  Once that was done we cleaned up our sewing mess and ran the vacuum cleaner – lots of threads!  I topped off the day with an hour long Neighborhood Association meeting. 

Friday – the girls read after breakfast before I kicked them outside to mow the lawn.  They are both little bookworms.  After that we headed outside to start another project for Christmas.  I’ll post about this one later on as well and I am excited about it.  We ate our lunch outside in the yard.  The weather was beautiful.  After bottling our latest batch of beer we finished planting our herb garden and some additional pots.  It feels good to have all our planting complete.  We even topped it off with a fire in our chiminea and girl talk. 

All week long I’ve been on stand-by for jury duty so our daily plans have been tenuous.  Every evening I’ve called in and was told to “call back tomorrow”.  I was hopeful, for once, not to have to serve and lucked out this time.  I’ve been pulled to serve every time I’ve been summoned so this time I caught a break.  Every night when I called in the girls sat with their fingers crossed that they would say no.  I think they’ve been having way too much fun with their old mom. 

We’ve also enjoyed some terrific meals and snacks this week.  Note to self – DO NOT feed my children Ding Dongs.  They instantly turn into one. 

So now, today we rest.  I’m a little pooped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...