Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bunco



On the second Friday of each month, from September through May, I get together with a fine group of ladies and play Bunco.  Our group began in 2004 and I joined them, shortly after, as a substitute player to fill in when one of the regular ladies couldn’t make it.  Within a few months of joining them one of the ladies moved to Seattle and I became a regular. 

Our group consists of twelve regular players and a long list of substitutes itching for one of us to bail so they can become a full timer.  We come from all walks of life.  Most of us are in the medical industry although when I initially joined I was working for a CPA firm at the time.  We also have a hair stylist, a dog groomer, a former deputy sheriff/school teacher (now believe me, that’s a combination) and a baker just to name a few. 

Every one of us brings a different personality and style to our group and the great thing about it is that when we are together it all seems to mesh and we have such a fabulous time.  We all have something special to contribute. 

If you have never played Bunco it is a mindless and silly game that any idiot can master within just a few minutes.  If you can count, and you don’t have to count very high, you can play.  We ante in with $5 per head and at the end of the night the pot is split for various prizes. 

For the two and a half hours we are together to play we laugh, giggle, act completely stupid and goofy, holler and yell, and share the latest gossip in our lives.  To an outsider, that didn’t quite know what was going on, you would probably think we had all just escaped from the loony bin. 

I’ve known these ladies for a long time now and I love that we still look forward to getting together every month.  Some of us have formed very strong friendships as a result of our meeting at this group.  Those are friendships that will last a lifetime. 

I doubt I would have met any of them otherwise, in the normal course of things, and I can’t imagine my life had I not.  It isn’t really about the game we get together to play so much as it’s about the ladies that play it.  I wouldn’t trade that for experience anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...