Monday, May 20, 2013

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Sunday I made a delicious Mother’s Day meal with all the ingredients from my pantry, fridge and freezer.  I baked the meatloaf and potatoes in my convection oven so I didn’t have to heat up my kitchen. 

Monday I thawed out a pan of lasagna I had put in the freezer a couple of months ago and baked it in the toaster oven for our supper that night.  We had enough leftover meatloaf and lasagna for another meal on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

I mended two things that have been patiently waiting for a long time.  My backpack and my camera bag.  Both had issues with frayed webbed straps.  The camera strap was literally hanging by a thread.  I got out a heavy needle, my great-grandmother’s thimble and a spool of black carpet thread and finally repaired them.  It feels good not to look at them sitting in my mending pile anymore.
 
Webbed strap was fraying at the seam.

All fixed!

Camera bag hanging by a thread.

Good as new!

Much better sales last week so I went to Fred Meyer on Tuesday to pick up a few things.  We ran out of cheese and peanut butter and both were on sale. 

·         2 jars of peanut butter $1.50 each
·         2 pounds of butter $1.88 each
·         2 pounds medium cheddar $4.29
·         2 bags lettuce mix – buy one get one free 88¢
·         2 bags spinach – buy one get one free $1.99
·         2 tomatoes 44¢
·         apples & oranges - 77¢ per pound
·         cucumber 69¢
·         strawberries $1.88 

I sold some more stuff on eBay this week. 

I finally broke down Friday evening and did my monthly grocery shopping.  Amazingly I didn’t need to purchase very much so I was in and out in no time.  It was nice!
 
I finished up every last bit of my facial cleanser and a tube of toothpaste.  I'm now working on using up a bottle of whitening toothpaste that has been taking up space in the cupboard  It is about half full.  Not my favorite but waste not, want not.

The chickens blessed us with 16 eggs last week.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. those are incredible grocery prices. Butter here is close to $6.00/lb usually. Insane. :( 1lb cheese block is $8.99, etc... brutal expensive. Good job with the repairs... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter and cheese can sure get expensive. I love a good sale. I don't think I've ever seen it as high here as where you are. Thankfully.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...