Monday, May 27, 2013

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Sunday I made a pot of chicken noodle soup literally out of leftover items hanging out in my freezer.  I used up the last of a bag of frozen chicken breasts and added frozen peas and carrots, corn, mixed veggies and several containers of frozen broth I had been saving to make soup.  All the veggies were little bits left after making other meals.  I also used up a partial box of ditalini pasta I had in the pantry.  It was so delicious! 


I turned five pair of holey jeans into five pair of shorts for my youngest daughter to wear this summer. 
Before

After
 
I made a point of using up items still hanging out in our freezer and pantry to make our meals this week.  I didn’t go to the grocery store until Friday.  We also made sure we used up leftovers in the fridge so nothing went to waste. 

On Friday we had a family pizza party and movie night.  We stopped at Fred Meyer on the way home from work and purchased two Red Baron frozen pizzas (2/$7), ice cream ($2) and a 2 liter bottle of lemon lime soda (87¢) all for less than $10.  We watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs from our home collection.  The girls thought it was great! 

On Saturday my daughters made a wonderful dessert for the holiday weekend using a cake mix I had bought on sale for 49¢, a box of gelatin on sale for 20¢, a tub of frozen whipped topping for 74¢ and three of our farm fresh eggs. 

I baked a big loaf of whole wheat bread. 

Our chickens blessed us with 20 eggs last week!  Good girls!!!

4 comments:

  1. A pizza movie night sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun and the best thing was that it wasn't a lot of work for me so I got to enjoy it too!

      Delete
  2. I think you are going to miss those chickens when you move!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...