Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crossroads


 
I find myself at a crossroads.  I have had an overwhelming desire and a need to make a change in my life.  A big one!  It has been nagging at me for years, but the truth of the matter is I’ve been too scared to go through with it.  I’ve decided I’m not scared anymore. 

I am almost fifty years old.  I have worked my tail off my entire life.  I had my first job at the age of 9.  My brother and I were entrepreneurs when I was 11 and he was 9 running our own lawn care business.  We worked hard.  I was literally the only babysitter in our neighborhood for years.  I always had a job on Friday and Saturday nights.  

My dad owned his own business.  When we weren’t mowing lawns or I wasn’t babysitting we worked with Dad.  We always worked hard at home too.  Our parents instilled a solid work ethic in us from an early age and we have carried it with us into adulthood.  My parents have never had to worry about our abilities to take care of ourselves or our families. 

I am the person who always wants a little more, I drive myself pretty hard.  I’m always striving for improvement.  I always want to be a good person, a hard worker, become successful, stay strong and be independent.  I believe I have managed to do all that and then some. 

I’ve been a single parent for over 26 years.  It’s a lot of work.  It’s the hardest job I’ve ever had and, by far, my very favorite.  I wouldn’t trade this job for anything.  My children are my life. 

I’ve hit that point in my life where I don’t want to work so hard anymore.  I want to slow down, simplify things, become more efficient in my daily routines and enjoy my life more.  I need to stress about things less and put more fun into my life.  I need to have the experiences I’ve been longing for and dreaming about and putting off. 

I need to go to concerts, travel to places I want to visit, take vacations, see people I haven’t seen in years, meet new people, entertain more, play more games with my children, and most importantly make me a priority.  I need to live the way I truly want to live. 

So, I’ve decided to embark upon a new journey.  I’m excited about where it might lead.  I’m hoping you will all hang around and see it unfold.  I’ll still be a Thrifty Mom, because that is who I am and I don’t want to completely change that.  That part of me is pretty deeply ingrained. 

Time is flying by and I feel like it is getting away from me.  Good heavens it is May already! 

Change is good and we all know it is ever present.  It’s how we go about it that is the true adventure.  I’m ready for a brand new ride.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I remember the day I sat down and took a hard look at all the hours I worked and how little time I spent enjoying life. Lots of big changes were made and I am so glad. I savor each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I am so excited about the changes I have planned.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! Children are grown and gone so fast. Enjoy your time with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I can't believe how quickly they grow. I look at them sometimes and wonder "How did that happen?"

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to hear about your journey and how you are going to accomplish it. I feel the same way right now and so we have been getting out more too. How wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just feel stuck in a rut. Time to shake things up a bit.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! After raising three children, I had to get really sick before I was truly able to put myself first. It was extremely difficult at first, but thank goodness I persevered. Also, my TRUE friends rode out the storm with me. Now I'm healthy and life is better than ever. --S--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me sometimes what it really takes to give us that wakeup call we need. And you are right. Your TRUE friends will stick it out with you. ;)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...