Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Embracing A More Minimalist Lifestyle


I don't really think of myself as a minimalist.  I'm more of a lessamist.  We live with a whole lot less than what we used to.  A whole lot less than most Americans currently do.  So far we aren't really missing anything.  Not even space. 

While I was purging, selling our stuff and then packing what I felt was important I had a lot of time to think.  The biggest thought that came to mind was the colossal amount of money I had spent over the years on all this stuff.  The other thought was that I didn't truly appreciate it the way I should have. 

Despite my best efforts over the past five years I had a lot of stuff in my house.  In the past five years I have had two large yard sales, given quite a few things away and taken several loads to donate to a thrift store.  I tried to keep things from ending up in the landfill and recycled everything I could.  Of course, it didn't help that while I was purging I still continued to purchase things. 

When it came time to clear out the house, pack up and head out I realized just how much useless stuff was sitting in my home.  More importantly, most of it wasn't getting the attention it should have.  We just weren't using most of the stuff we had. 

Right now we have virtually no furniture.  I saved very few pieces.  A shelf unit, two red leather straight back chairs, a small side table that was my great-grandmother's, my dresser from my bedroom and a lamp.  They will remain in storage for the time being. 

Everything else we owned was packed into banker boxes, copy paper boxes and plastic bins.  The items we chose to keep are of importance to us and are items we feel we will use on a regular basis.  After unpacking and moving into our travel trailer we still have boxes left.  As I stand and look at all of them I still can't help but feel we may have kept too much. 

Before all is said and done I have a feeling that I'll be getting rid of a lot more stuff once we finally get settled into our new routine.  I like the idea of a lot less stuff. 

From now on when I decide to buy something I plan to take my time, choose wisely, really think about what I am buying and pay cash. 

Yes, I really do think we've kept too much.

3 comments:

  1. Getting rid of stuff is for most, an ongoing purge. I have fabric and books I know can go, but will hold on just a bit longer. I notice things more as I go about cleaning/dusting. My thoughts are usually, "why am I continuing to clean this stuff, if it is just sitting on a shelf?". I believe for most folks the idea and reality of empty space in very foreign. Empty wall? Hang something. Empty corner space? Add something. I once had a client with soooooo many knickknacks that 2 hours were required just for dusting.

    By the way, those banker boxes are very handy dandy. I love them.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do knick knacks well. I hate to dust too. Have a great day Jill!

      Delete
  2. Lessamist....I like that. I have boxes of stuff sitting in the basement right now. I debated having a yard sale, but truly hate when people offer insulting prices. I would rather donate things. When I think about the amounts of money spent to acquire these items, well, it is depressing. I am getting better at not buying things that do not serve a purpose.

    I am definately not a minimalist. I just want to be a better steward of the resources I have been blessed with, so I can help others in need.

    Loved reading back through your posts, especially the money savings ones.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...