Thursday, September 19, 2013

Something You Probably Don't Know About Me


I don’t think I've ever mentioned to you before that I am crazy about cars.  While some women are crazy about jewelry, clothes or home décor I am absolutely nuts about cars. 

Any time an old car or pick up rolls down the road I instantly perk up.  A beautifully restored classic and I quite literally swoon.  My heartbeat picks up and I want to follow them down the road and get a closer look.  If there is a car show going on I want to go.  I'll stop people in the grocery store parking lot and talk to them about their ride. 

I love to watch car restoration shows on TV.  I hit car museums up when we travel.  My kids know to expect it as part of any sightseeing we have planned.  I am a NASCAR fan through and through.  I plan to attend a race someday.  I love racecars.  I even enjoy working on cars. 

I don't love mini vans or station wagons and I'm not especially fond of SUVs either.  No offense to anyone who owns one but they are just not my thing.  I love pretty cars that sparkle and shine in the sunlight.  I will even admit to serious car envy when I roll past a Mercedes Benz Kompressor or a sporty looking Lexus or an Audi.  So while some women dream about a pretty pair of Jimmy Choos I often pine away for a pretty car. 

Last week a very dear friend asked me why I've never owned a "pretty car".  I've owned nice cars, in fact I just sold one.  So I was a little caught off guard by his question.  He wasn't going to let it go either.  He wanted to know why I have always chosen to drive an affordable, practical car instead of a car I truly love.  Afterall, in his words, I'm "a car girl".  I'm very passionate about them.  I really didn't have an answer for him because I honestly hadn't ever taken the time to actually think about it. 

I told him I happen to love my truck, which is the vehicle I own and currently use as my daily commuter vehicle.  Which also happens to be practical and affordable up to a certain point.  We have discovered in the past couple of weeks that it isn't very practical for shoving full of and transporting growing teenagers.  I'm realizing that this is going to be a regular occurrence in my life now too.  Bam!  When did that happen?  So yes, I have questioned my wisdom in selling our roomy five passenger Scion XB and keeping the truck instead.  Both of my vehicles have been very nice, in fact all of my vehicles have been nice.  I don't buy crap. 

The point he wanted to make was that I can easily afford to drive a car that I love and makes me feel good when I drive it while being practical to haul kids around, pick up groceries and go to work or whatever.  I can also easily afford to keep my truck for all the reasons I have already chosen to do so.  So why don't I? 

Well we all can relate, I'm sure, to the why.  I'm a mom first and I take care of me second.  I make sure everybody else's needs are taken care of first before mine are met.  I have no trouble buying my children something they want for their birthday or Christmas but will wait and put what I want on the back burner for "later" or "someday". 

My friend was kind enough to point out I am now 49 years old.  Bless his heart.  But I also know his heart is in the right place, especially when he said, "Guess what?  It's already someday."
 
So...

4 comments:

  1. I have a thing for old muscle cars myself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ultimate dream car is a 1969 Firebird. Black on black. I even have a picture of one as my desktop on my laptop.

      Delete
    2. Nice!:)

      I always fancied a 72 Nova SS. I even built a model kit one when I was a kid.

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes. I had friends in high school with Novas. Of course none of them could afford to fix them up so they were pieces of junk. I've seen some beautifully restored ones though. You want to know something funny? I built a 77 Trans Am model once. That was eons ago. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...