Tuesday, September 17, 2013

To Coupon Or Not Coupon


That is the question! 

I find myself periodically reviewing whether clipping coupons is worth the time and trouble.  Especially when I find myself tossing a bunch that expired, as was the case yesterday. 

I don't always use coupons but there have been times when I have scored some terrific bargains by matching up a coupon with a sale priced item.  To be honest, I seldom use coupons any other way.  I also stack coupons which means adding a manufacturer's coupon to a store coupon for even greater savings. 

Yesterday I found myself in need of a few items, mainly cat food.  We were out of dry food and low on canned cat food.  I had quite a selection of coupons for various brands of both so I headed off to Fred Meyer since also I needed a few other items they had on sale.  Plus I had other coupons to use or toss. 
 

There are times, however when I really think it pays off.  This is what I ended up getting: 

·         2 boxes breakfast cereal - store coupon for 3/$5 plus a mfg. coupon for $1 = $1.16 each
·         2 loaves bread - store coupon for 4/$5 = $1.25 each
·         1 pound butter - store coupon for 3/$5 = $1.66 each
·         3 pudding cup packs - on sale 10/$10 less $1.00 coupon = 66¢ each (17¢ per pudding cup)
·         1 16oz. container sour cream - on sale 10/$10 = $1.00
·         2 boxes pasta - on sale 88¢ each less 55¢ coupon = 60¢ each
·         1 320z. bottle canola oil - close out $2.36
·         6 cans cat food - on sale 65¢ each less $1.00 coupon = 48¢ each
·         3 cans cat food - on sale 77¢ each less coupon buy 2 get 1 free = 51¢ each
·         1 16lb. bag dry cat food - sale $10.99 less $1.00 coupon = $9.99 final price 

            Total store and manufacturer coupons redeemed = $10.37.
            Total I paid = $13.04 food & $14.43 cat food. 


The cat food I bought will last us at least two months and I almost always have coupons when I buy it.  I find them both online and in the Sunday coupon circulars.  Two of the coupons I used today (pasta & cereal) were given to me at checkout during a prior visit to Fred Meyer.  Additionally I had them swipe my Fred Meyer Rewards card for this purchase which earns me points toward savings at their gas station. 

I happen to be one of those strange people who enjoys clipping coupons and I do try to only clip coupons for items I will actually use.  I have to admit I do get a real thrill when I find I have a coupon for something I need and it also happens to be on sale.  I love the math and strategizing that goes along with it too.  Especially when I can get something dirt cheap or, even better, for free. 

If you don't enjoy using and clipping coupons then I'd say just forget about it.  No point making yourself do something you really don't enjoy.  Grocery shopping and meal planning is hard enough without adding one more unpleasant aspect to it.  I have a friend that completely stresses out when faced with trying to figure out deals and how to use coupons for maximum savings.  I tell her life is too short and there are plenty of other things to stress over.  J 

So I guess what it literally comes down to is coupon if you want to and if you don't then don't bother.
 

You may also enjoy revisiting Coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...