Wednesday, April 19, 2017

An Interesting Thing About Cottage Cheese


We happen to really enjoy cottage cheese.  I know not everyone does, must be a texture thing, but we happen to be a family that really does.  Plain with a good bit of cracked black pepper on top or as a key ingredient in a pasta dish it manages to make its way into many of our meals.


Whenever it goes on sale or markdown I like to stock up.  I didn't used to, because I'd over buy and end up having it go bad before we'd eat it.  I even tried freezing it, but didn't really care for how that altered the texture.  Then I stumbled across this tip.

Store unopened tubs upside down in the refrigerator and it will literally last for months.


I was skeptical, but thought what the heck.  I'll try it.  And guess what? 

It really works!

I've done it for years now and actually kept a 16oz. tub of cottage cheese in the refrigerator for 6 months.  It was perfectly fine.  I was amazed.


I don't know how it works, just know that it does.  Anyone else know about this trick?



8 comments:

  1. I've done this for years, too! (Only don't show your family, if they freak out about past-due dates.) It works for sour cream and some creamy cheeses, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Some people are seriously bothered by that.

      Delete
  2. Just found this incredible recipe for a whacky-style carrot cake (with gluten-free alternative)...and thought of you!

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2017/04/carrot-crazy-cake-no-butter-eggs-milk.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StrangersPilgrimsOnEarth+%28Strangers+%26amp%3B+Pilgrims+on+Earth%29

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know why it works but I do the same and it works for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this too! I love to add some cottage cheese mixed with some salad dressing like ranch or blue cheese to my green salads for a protein boost. With my various autoimmune illnesses, having extra protein is a must for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesireee! We've got to get it where we can. Plus cottage cheese just tastes good. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...