Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Eating For Health - Grains


Adding more whole grain foods to our diet has been something I've been working on for quite some time now.  It is an easy thing to do too.


Whole Grain Breads

I like to bake my own bread from scratch.  When I buy bread products I really read the labels so I make sure I'm getting good quality items with minimal processing and little to no additives or preservatives.


Whole Grain Cereals

I've cut down dramatically on the amount of ready to eat cereals I buy.  I focus on whole grain cereals like plain Cheerios, shredded wheat, corn flakes and rice krispies.  Mostly now we eat oatmeal and homemade granola.  We love oatmeal and it is really delicious with fruit and nuts added to it.


Rice & Pasta

We prefer white rice over brown and regular semolina pasta as well as whole wheat varieties.  We eat rice and pasta fairly often but we are careful not to overeat it buy consuming huge portions.


The biggest thing for me with regard to whole grain foods is limiting the amount of sugars, corn syrup, sodium, additives and preservatives in these foods.  Reading labels is a very important part of making healthy choices.  The fewer items on the ingredient list the better.



6 comments:

  1. It is amazing when you start reading bread labels at the amount of junk in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked! Then go online and look up what that stuff is. Holy moly!

      Delete
  2. We eat rice almost every day and don't really like brown rice. But, what I do now is I add a bit of brown rice to the white before I cook it, mix it all in, and we hardly notice it. It tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I make so many of my bread here at home. I can put what I want in them and avoid all the extra sugars and preservatives. I have been trying to add more whole grains to our diet also. The hubby let me know that he liked all white flour and oatmeal bread better than when I add whole wheat to it also. He says that the one with whole wheat is good too, but he prefers that white flour. I love him enough to tell him that I will give in once in awhile, but most of the time, he will be having some whole wheat flour in his bread too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Debbie. He has to know you're doing this out of love and because you want him around for a good long time. Nothing beats homemade bread, for sure.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...