Monday, August 30, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


Sunday morning was cool and overcast.  By comparison to the past two months our weather has dramatically changed.  We scarcely use the A/C units anymore although I still open all the windows and our back door each morning and let the fresh air in.  I got my day started with hot coffee and some writing before I headed into the kitchen to put on a batch of beanless chili for my youngest.  While that cooked in our largest slow cooker I got my Sunday chores done and the laundry.  Once the chili was done I canned six pints and set a dish of chili in the refrigerator for my daughter.  Then I went back to my laptop for more writing, financial planning, monthly planning as well grocery and meal planning for next month.  I also read a book for a while. It was a great day.

 

I refilled our rice canisters with 10 pounds of rice I had purchased last year

Monday it was back to work for me and school for the youngest.  The oldest is back to college on the first of September but in the meantime she is working as many hours as she can at her job in preparation.  My youngest is working part time too and both girls are in super saver mode.  They are very careful and thoughtful spenders.  They make this mama very proud.

 

I highly recommend!

Last week I re-purchased a copy (used) of Your Money or Your Life and have been reading it lately.  I also purchased the updated version (also used) for my oldest.  It is still a great read and very much applicable.  This time around I was excited to see how many of the things suggested in this book I actually do and I am thrilled to see that I do A LOT of them.  My mindset with regards to my relationship with money and possessions seems to fall right in line.  I initially read this book ages ago but it has obviously made an impact on me all these years.  I find that pretty darn exciting.

 


I worked a full week and then on Saturday my intent was to relax and spend time in the craft room after I did my chores.  My chores ended up morphing into a project in the laundry room, however.  I ended up switching my washer and dryer around, re doing the venting and then did a purge and reorganize of the whole room.  It felt really good to get a project under my belt and feel capable and accomplished.  Plus!  I love, love, love how it turned out.  I have plans this winter to give the laundry room and our downstairs bathroom a refresh, but for now, just this little project being complete is very satisfying.  Oh!  And the cost to do this project = $0.

 

I turned this 3 pounds of ground beef into 7 pints of beanless chili

THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Swedish meatballs, beanless chili, nachos, spaghetti & meat sauce, pesto gnocchi.

 

So lovely!

THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Cleaned mirrors, scrubbed sink & toilet, vacuumed & mopped floors, cleaned wall art.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Vacuumed & spot mopped floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Cleaned mirror, cleaned tub, vacuumed & dusted.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - three large loads of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways, cleaned mirror.  Cleaned our box fans.

 

We gave our box fans a good cleaning

THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I did not grocery shop last week.  We did not use our A/C units last week.

 

It's hard work being a kid and a kitty

THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  I worked a small amount of overtime.

 

I cleaned, purged and reorganized this shelf unit

How was your thrifty week?

 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week! Love your laundry room! It looks great!
    I need to reread Your Money or Your life. It has been too long.
    What a sweet picture of your girl and kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST....BOOK.....EVER! I read this in the 90s and it was life changing for us as well. Following the steps faithfully I retired 7y early :-)

    An older friend of mine said this years ago: Now that I can afford broccoli, I'd rather grow it. So true. My gazingas pin was books at over $1100/year back then. Now that I can afford them, I still prefer the library. Good habits are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED!!! I'm with you on the library. I hardly own any books myself, but the library is a treasure trove of good reading. :)

      Delete
  3. I used to get those box fans from trash heaps. I took off the back and cleaned the gunk and hair. then, I took off the front and cleaned those, too. The hair and lint gets wrapped around the hub. I would clean the blades and inside and outside of the cabinet, use the vacuum on the hub. The fans worked and I gave them to people who had no ac and needed a fan.

    I used my box fan to move the room ac to another room instead of leaving the ac on all the time. I hope I still have that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing you did. We love our box fans for a multitude of reasons. :o)

      Delete
  4. Love that shelf unit with the detergent

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...