Tuesday, August 10, 2021

What I’ve Learned About My Work & My Life - Part 1

 


First and foremost, you have to keep it all in its proper perspective.  My job is not my life.  My job is simply the way I choose to finance my life.  My life outside of my job is what is most important.  I feel very strongly about this and here is why.

 


I work as a patient care coordinator for a large corporation that provides home oxygen services for veterans.  I enjoy what I do and find the work challenging and very rewarding.  While I am considered a frontline health care worker I am fortunate that I’m secluded in my cubicle most of the time.  My physical interaction is mostly with service technicians and delivery drivers and rarely with the patients themselves.  Mostly my professional and patient interaction is done via the phone and computer.  For that reason my risk during this pandemic has been fairly low.  I’m probably more at risk going to the grocery store than I am by going to work.

 


One might think, especially during a pandemic, that my job is secure and I’m very important overall and that is true up to a point.  The one thing to always remember is that everyone is replaceable.  Everyone.  And if you are of the mindset that you are invaluable and your employers couldn’t live without you, think again.  They can and they will.  Because everyone is replaceable.

 


I know this from my own experience as a recovering workaholic.  I used to always go the extra mile, put in the gobs of overtime, give up parts of my personal life to make work a priority and it was by far the stupidest thing I ever did.  But at the time I thought things were much, much different than they actually were.  I thought my employers really cared about me and valued me as a person.  Oh they cared and they valued me, but not as a person.  As an employee.

 


Employees are just that.  Employees.  They are not business owners.  Even if you happen to have an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) where you work, you still don’t own the company.  You only own stock in that company.  You don’t have a stake in anything and you don’t have a say in anything because you are just an employee.  And they can always replace you with someone else and carry on business as usual.  It happens all the time.

 


I no longer sacrifice myself for the sake of my job no matter how much I may love and enjoy what I do.  I simply use that job for my own personal gain.  And that is where the correct mindset should be.  If your job takes care of your needs and fulfills your wants and goals then that is why you work for said company, however if not, you need to work somewhere else.  If your employer insists that you make sacrifices “for the good of the company” walk away.  That employer doesn’t care about you at all, they only care about profits.  And that leads me to another important point.

 


Companies do not exist to make jobs for people.  They exist to make money.  That’s the bottom line.  The cold hard truth is companies are all about profits and the only time they really care about their employees is if they cost them money and decrease their profits.  Much as we would like to believe otherwise, if we do (and I have), we’re just deluding ourselves. 

 


I want to encourage anyone who is slaving away, working too many hours, feeling underappreciated or harboring resentment to sit back and really take a good hard look at what you’re doing and how you are thinking.  Then read the book Your Money Or Your Life.   Our lives and our relationships outside of work need to be our focus.  Our job is simply the means we use to finance and enhance our lives.  I choose to work to live, not live to work.  Once you wrap your head around that concept it will truly change your life.

14 comments:

  1. I am self employed, having a home daycare. It consumes me, I never leave work because my preschool rooms are right in the front of my house. I can never take a day off from cleaning and upkeep as we have to maintain standards at all times. I have a knee injury and still working and cleaning, curriculum and maintaining my space. My husband is disable from cancer and I have to financially support my two grandchildren and provide a home for them. We are climbing out of debt after my husbands cancer, sink hole damage to our home that house insurance does not cover because its considered earth movement. Throw in an expensive car repair, needing to replace an appliance, catch up with what I owe the IRS. It's been almost 17 years of working for myself and I need a change where I just punch in and punch out. I am hoping to be completely out of debt by early next summer and make the change in the fall. That's my plan anyway. I also needed to wait for my grandchildren to get older before working outside of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all goes according to plan and big changes are ahead for you. You are a very hard worker. And a wonderful grandma. 😄

      Delete
  2. Amen to that!!!! I'm retired now but I always gave more than 100%, even frequently driving in to work on Sundays to try to catch up while I had very young children at home. Eventually I cracked (although I only took 2 weeks off) but that was enough for them to get me an assistant who, since he was a man, obviously needed his OWN assistant too!!!! I'll never get that logic but more than once I've been replaced by several people when I left a job, not just one person. You owe your employer hard work and decency. But you don't owe them your health! That being said, I really did have an excellent employer, for which I'm eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so hard finding that balance. Not at all worth sacrificing our health, so right.

      Delete
  3. BEST.....BOOK......EVER! I read it back in the late 90s. I'd had several healthscares and my boss was expecting 70h week plus. I told her no more than 55 during a meeting and she said "that's not the job". I told her to term me if necessary but I would not be doing it anymore. 2y later I was gone gone gone and so happy :-)

    Doing the homework in the book was life changing as well. We snowballed our debt away and then mortgages on our home and our mountain cabin. (We had been maxing retirement contributions for years already.) We've been debt-free since January 2010 and I retired 2y ago at age 58.

    I wish you the best in achieving your early retirement goals along with continued health improvement :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true about companies only caring about profit and not their employees. I have been laid off many times because the company didn't make their quarterly results, only to have the top executives receive their annual bonus because they made their year end profits ( by reducing the workforce.)
    This is such timely reminder that it is important to work to live and not live to work.
    I enjoy your blog very much! Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. Yes indeed, work to live. And enjoy our lives.

      Delete
  5. Well said! Husband has learned this the hard way several times, both as an engineer and a bus driver/trainer/IT person. Fortunately, after the first or second shock, he started arranging the job to benefit both himself and the company. (Or in his case, the school district.) We took maximum advantage of matching contributions, and purchased years of service so he would be eligible for a pension sooner than he normally would have. That's a decision we have never regretted, even though it made for leaner living back then.
    You do a good job for your pay -- after all, that's what a person of integrity does. But it should not be the one and only reason why your existence is valuable on earth. You sounded a bit matter-of-fact, and even a little crass at times. But better to face the facts honestly -- you ARE an employee, not a person, to a company, no matter what they say.

    I learned this the hard way myself when I worked for a magazine owned by Rodale. (Yes, the company who brags all the time about how people and the 'good earth' etc etc are their main priority.) They laid off everyone who was not full-time in one fell swoop -- screwed the salespeople out of their final commissions (because they did it on the 19th, and "it wasn't a full month"), and treated us as so much garbage while they were saying, "We're so sorry to have to let you go." No severance pay offered (and I was stupid enough, after 4 years there, not to ask for it), though they were "gracious" enough to give me the vacation days I earned.

    Just before they sold the magazine to another company, Mrs. Rodale herself came to visit -- and strip the magazine's collection of very valuable quilts...because she announced that she wanted quilts for the family's beds! (Fortunately, the editors got wind of this ahead of time, and just "happened" to take the most unique and valuable pieces home with them 'for study.' But they couldn't save everything.)
    I have had a different opinion of Rodale to this day.

    As Reagan used to say, "Trust -- but verify." Don't rely on verbal promises -- get it in writing, or it won't necessarily be done. We've both seen this in our work experience, too. Thanks for writing this cautionary post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to learn the hard way myself, stupidly thinking with each job it would be different. It's not. Once I figured it out and kept my perspective my work life balance was so much easier. Sure wish I could've figured it out sooner, but as they say, better late than never.

      Delete
  6. True words for sure! I was doing a job in an office that I thought I would love and hated it, love the company but office work is not for me, stayed 5 years and then moved back to the mountains and took the job back I had before I left. Still same company (been here 15 years) just a much more active position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave it a shot. I'm glad you figured it out and went back.

      Delete
  7. This is so true. Someone I know recently left his job for a higher paying one and his boss tried to degrade him by saying,”well then I guess you’re just in it for the money?” Of course! That is why anyone works. It is an exchange of labor for goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sounds like your friend made the right decision.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...