Wednesday, August 11, 2021

A $20 Dollar Tree Prep!

 


A couple weeks ago I decided to use some extra money I had for some prepper pantry items.  As I had mentioned before I've been a bit behind on my prepping plans, but I'm trying to get caught up and thought perhaps Dollar Tree might have a few things on the shelf that we use and could stock up on.  Turns out they did.

 


One of the things I was hoping for was their vacuum packed bricks of espresso grind coffee and I was in luck.  They had some so I picked up six of those.  My goal with coffee is to have a two year supply on hand prior to retirement.  I am well on my way to achieving that goal!

 


A really nice surprise was to find this Barilla pesto.  I got six of them as well.  Pesto is something we use frequently and we really enjoy it.  I like it on chicken and to make my pesto shrimp recipe.  My daughter likes to mix in with her butter and pasta for a quick lunch.

 


I picked up these four packages of Wylers sugar free drink mixes that go into your water bottle.  I'm not a huge fan of the artificial sweeteners in these, however for an occasional treat I think they'll be really nice and much better (maybe not) than a soda.  Certainly more affordable and they don't take up much space.  Even less if I removed them from the boxes, but for now I plan to just leave them as is.

 

Vacuum sealed to keep them fresh longer

I grabbed this package of dried cranberries and a another can of ground pepper from the spice section to add to my collection of spices and condiments.  The dried cranberries will be nice to use for granola or add to cooked oatmeal or a batch of oatmeal cookies.  I like them in salads too.

 

Extra pasta from our pantry

I decided to vacuum seal them 3 to a package

I had some extra seven ounce packages of pasta in the pantry that I'd picked up at the grocery store a while back.  I decided to go ahead and vacuum seal six of them and add them to the prepper pantry.  These sell for around 33¢ each and I like to use them with the pesto to make orzo.  A perfect side dish or a quick lunch.  My daughter really loves orzo with a little parmesan sprinkled on top.  Not a bad lot for only $20, I'd say.

 

8 comments:

  1. Great finds for stocking up! I need to spend some time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does a brick of coffee last in months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had so many unplanned expenses this month that we are scraping the bottom of the savings account barrel. Due to an accident (not his fault) we will get it all reimbursed but those wheels are turning very slowly. Thankfully we had the cash(no CC's here)so we could pay for the rental work truck or we would be in a pickle. Any way from this month until at least the end of the year EVERY item we run out of is being evaluated as a need or a want before it gets replaced, including food. Grocery Bills have been very low so far this month....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about the accident, but way to go on how you are handling it! So nice to be prepared ahead for emergencies. I commend you! :o)

      Delete
  4. There is a Dollar General in town where I work and maybe a Dollar Tree in the city. I'll be checking those out. I did find instant coffee packs like the soft drink you found, for $1 for 7 sleeves. They are not bad, but I need 2 for my large morning cup. I will be adding more of those to my prepper pantry in case of no electricity to run my coffee maker. Another thought, I need to get bins to hold more of my prepper supplies. Running out of room on my pantry shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep up the great work Kay. Every little bit we can squirrel away now will make a huge difference when we need it.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...