Monday, August 16, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


On Sunday we were back in winter preparation mode after a busy Saturday of it.  We got so much done it will take a two part post to tell you all about it.  Watch for that on Thursday and Friday.  Needless to say by the time all was said and done we were pooped and I was ready to head back to work on Monday so I could rest.  Now that we are pretty much set our focus will turn to getting the kitties, bunny and chickens winter ready and then the vehicles.  So a little bit more to do but we are gaining on it.

 


Our internet went dead on Tuesday leaving us in a lurch primarily because my daughter is in summer school and it is all online.  And they can't come out and fix it for a week!  Unreal how this employee shortage is affecting pretty much everything.  We did speak with a supervisor and explained the situation and he said he would try to squeeze us in sooner, but he is down on manpower.  I get it.  We have the same thing going on where I work too.  In the meantime we got an extension on her summer school course.  Using the library after I get off work isn't an option because they now have limited hours due to the pandemic and my employer is stingy with the wi-fi password and won't let us use the company internet which is virtually unheard of in this day and age, but it is what it is.  My daughter asked what we did before the internet?  I said "Chores".  She didn't bite.  Fortunately they had us back up and running on Thursday.

 


About midweek our temperatures climbed back up toward the triple digits again.  Our nights were cooler though so we managed to keep the house nice by opening it up in the mornings and cooling it off and then closing it back up for the day.  We didn't have to turn the A/C on until late afternoon.  I love summer, but with fall just around the corner I think I'm ready for the change of seasons this year.

 


I topped up the fuel tanks in both the car and the truck and nearly had a heart attack (okay, I know that isn't funny).  Both vehicles were at the halfway point and it was over $60.  I am very grateful I live so close to work and the grocery stores.  I think my youngest has decided she isn't in a hurry to finish learning to get drive and get her license.  The thought of filling a gas tank isn't all that appealing now.

 


We have started seeing some signs of stronger rules and restrictions going into effect due to the surge of COVID cases.  I had two co-workers, not in the same building I work in, out with it and both had been vaccinated.  Not a good thing people.  I have a feeling there will be lockdowns again pretty soon.

 


On a more exciting note, my youngest and I planned a morning mother daughter date for Saturday.  We went downtown, walked around, checked out some shops and the Saturday market.  We didn't buy anything but it was fun just to hang out together and look at stuff.  We were home in time for lunch and ahead of the hottest part of the day.  After lunch we got a call from my oldest to see if we would go look at a car with her.  She's been ready for an upgrade in preparation of graduation and going off to grad school.  She been doing her research and car shopping for quite a while and was ready to do a test drive.  What she wasn't expecting to do was negotiate her first car deal and what an experience that can be.

 


I'm extremely proud of her.  She knew what the car was worth, what she was willing and able to pay and she stuck to her guns.  I think it helped that I was there for moral support and to back her play.  It was stressful and at times a little upsetting and she was willing to walk away if she didn't get what she wanted.  She got what she wanted and the car she purchased and paid cash for is a Prius in excellent condition and very low miles for its age.  The Prius is something she has wanted for quite some time and she got a really good deal for it.  I think the salesman was happy to see us go.  We were tough and it was not an easy transaction.  She didn't buy into any of his salesman rhetoric and he couldn't wear her down.  When she stepped away to "phone a friend" he tried to appeal to me.  That sure as heck didn't work.  I wasn't about to cave in anymore than she was.  Besides this was her decision and her money.  It was actually the other way around.  He gave up and she got the car for what she was willing to pay and knew what it was truly worth.  I honestly think she paid less than it was truly worth.  This car is like brand new.

 


Then my daughters did a little business transaction of their own and my youngest is now the proud owner of a Scion XB.  She purchased her sister's old car and that has worked out extremely well for both of them.  She reduced the price from what she had planned to sell it for on Facebook Marketplace and ended up with a tidy sum to put toward replacing the cash spent on her new car.  And now my youngest has a really nice little car for not a lot of money that she can finish learning to drive with, she knows its history and it is pretty fun to drive.  I think both of my girls made out very, very well.  It's kind of nice having that Scion back in my driveway.

 


THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Curry chicken salad, crackpot chicken, breakfast burritos, meatloaf, salads.  We had a lot of really good food to eat over the past week and we were really good about using up our leftovers.  I had really good choices for quick and easy work lunches too.

 


THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS:

 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Vacuumed & spot mopped floors, cleaned mirrors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Vacuumed & spot mopped floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Scrubbed sink & tub, vacuumed & dusted.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - One large load of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways.

 


THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I washed out a few Ziploc bags to reuse.  I didn't do any more grocery shopping.

 


THINGS I DID TO EARN EXTRA $$:  I worked a full time work week with a couple hours of overtime.  It was a crazy busy work week.

 


How was your thrifty week?

 

7 comments:

  1. It's great that your daughter is comfortable negotiating, and clear on her demands. Buying a car is so stressful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Scion XB is now 16 years old and going strong. Great car! I was wondering when I was reading if the youngest would buy her sister's car. My youngest always told me one of the best things I did for him was to have him pay for his own first car. He did the same with his daughter. You seem to value it more if you had to work hard to get it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I bought my first car and I took care of it.

      Delete
    2. Also sill driving my xB. Great cars for the long haul.

      Delete
  3. Your girls are smart like their mom!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...