Friday, August 6, 2021

Stocking Up On Chicken

 


We were down to our last package of boneless skinless chicken breast and I was getting a little nervous waiting for a good sale to pop up.  The sales haven't been great lately and grocery prices seem to be creeping up at a steady pace.  This is the time of year I like to stock up in preparation of winter, but it has been a little tricky.  Finally the stores ran a sale and I was in luck.

 


Even luckier the supermarket my darling daughter works at was one of the stores having a sale and she gets an employee discount.  Her store had boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.97 a pound.  I've seen better, but not lately (that was the regular price at Fred Meyer for quite some time) so I was happy to see this price.  With her discount it actually made it $1.79 a pound and I wasn't about to complain about that.  She ordered ten pounds of chicken for me and I went down when it was ready and picked it up.

 

Portioned out for 14 meals

My plan was to divide up the chicken into meal sized portions, as usual, and get them into the freezer.  These breasts were huge and still had the tenderloin attached so I was able to cut one piece of chicken into several individual sized portions.  Since it is just the two of us right now I packaged them in two person portions, fillets and chunks, for various recipes I plan to make.  I ended up with a little pile of smaller bits and pieces and I packaged that up to use in soup.

 

Ready for the freezer

By the time all was said and done I ended up with fourteen fairly decent sized packages of meat plus I had put some into the slow cooker for our supper that evening.  At least fifteen meals for the two of us and the total for all that chicken came to $17.44.  I was pretty happy with that.  I like to put my individual packages together inside a larger Ziploc bag to help better protect them from freezer burn.  I find it works really well.  And it feels really good to have more chicken in the freezer right now.  Are you struggling with meat prices where you live?  What are you doing right now?

 

5 comments:

  1. Good deal!!! I need to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing, wait for a sale, then split it up…also use quart freezer bags for each meal size portion, then batch them up into a gallon freezer bag. Double bagging works well to prevent freezer burn. I bought chicken a few weeks ago when it went on a similar sale $1.79 here in Phoenix…gone are the $0.99/lb days I think ;(. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say meat prices have jumped at least 20-30%...if they're on sale, and they're not beef. Beef prices have easily doubled.

    Fortunately, we had a couple of shelves of freezer food, and a small freezer with meat. So I check the markdowns, just like you do -- but rely on what we've already got in the freezer. Husband has a hunting license on a 'ranch' area this season -- an area people try decades to get permission to hunt on, because it's so productive. I am hoping he gets an elk this year -- which would mean 200 or so pounds of meat. That's a great reason to eat down the freezer, in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sales are not as often, that's for sure. But, we have plenty of meat. I just don't want to get low. When I found bscb on "sale" at a too-high price, I bought it. One package was cooked in oven and half frozen and half was put in the refrigerator for everyday. Then, because I was exhausted, I put all the other package in a freezer bag. When I thaw it, I will cook all of it and store some in freezer and some in refrigerator for meals.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...