Monday, November 5, 2012

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


I decided to take a cue from another blogger The Prudent Homemaker.  She lists weekly the frugal things she did to save her family money.  I have drawn a lot from her posts and these lists, in particular.  I hope I am able to offer the same to you. 

I did a little more of my “extreme couponing” last Monday at Walmart.  Armed with my coupon doublers from Albertsons and three $1.00 coupons I headed off after dropping my girls at school to score my bargains.

$1.98 + tax

·         2 holiday flavored chapsticks 98¢ each, less $2 in coupons = 4¢ credit!
·         GE energy saver light bulbs $2.24, less $2 in coupons, less 4¢ credit = final total 20¢!
·         Pantene hair conditioner $3.78, less $2 in coupons = final total $1.78 

Total $1.98 + tax!  I paid with my $100 Walmart gift card acquired with my Citibank rewards points.  Out of pocket expense $0!  Plus, the chapstick will be stocking stuffers for the girls so another Christmas gift is off the list. 

On Wednesday I used some coupons, both store and manufacture coupons, at Fred Meyer to add some more items to my pantry. 

·         12 cans of Green Giant green beans (youngest daughter’s favorite) 2/$1
·         4 boxes of Stovetop Stuffing - 79¢ each
·         8 cans of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup - 49¢ each
·         2 cans Ocean Spray whole berry cranberry sauce - 99¢ each 

I split these purchases between my November and December grocery budgets as some will get used this month and then others next month, more than likely for several months ahead.

 
Dinner out on Halloween night for “date night” was at Wendys.  I had a coupon for two kid’s meals for $1.99 each.  I ate off the value meal – chicken sandwich, small fry, small frosty.  Because the girls were in costume they received a free junior frosty.  Our total for dinner and dessert came to $7.72 with tax.  The girls re-used their costumes from last year too so no expense to dress up. 

I fueled up the pickup on Friday.  I used my Fred Meyer rewards card at their gas station and had amassed enough points to qualify for a 10¢ per gallon discount – Hurray!  I filled the tank for $3.44 a gallon.  It was still over $42 dollars to fill her up!  Fortunately a tank of gas in the truck will usually last me 2 to 3 months depending on how often I use it. 

I made two birthday gifts for my eldest daughter from items I already had and on Saturday I helped the youngest one make a gift for her too.  I’ll be posting about those after we’ve given them to her.  I also got the better part of a baby shower gift done until I ran out of pink yarn, otherwise I’m pretty sure I could have finished it. 

You know, every little bit helps to extend our household dollars and make them go as far as they can.  It allows us to do more and have more.  I am constantly on the search for bargains and ways to save.  I find inspiration to keep going from a lot of sources – friends, blogs, books checked out from the public library, Google, YouTube videos, MSN articles, Pinterest and many other places. 

Stay inspired and stay thrifty!

4 comments:

  1. Does Walmart accept coupons from Albertson's ? What other stores will accept other coupons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of Walmart's price match ad match guarantee. I think Kmart does too. Albertson's used to but stopped and Fred Meyer does not. If you come across any others let me know. :)

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say I love The Prudent Homemaker and found your blog from her. And know your blog is a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoooo! Great news! I love the Prudent Homemaker too. I figure, if she can do it anyone can.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...