Monday, November 26, 2012

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Last week I needed to go to Michaels on Sunday night because they had a 25% off your entire purchase coupon that was only good on Sunday from 4 to 9 pm.  Since I was driving right past Walmart on my way I stopped with my coupons and my Albertson’s coupon doublers first.  This is what I got:


·         1 gallon whole milk $2.38, less $1.50 in coupons = final price 88¢!
·         1 bottle Ocean Spray cranberry juice $2.48, less $2 in coupons = final price 48¢!
·         1 half gallon TruMoo chocolate milk $2.58, less $1.10 in coupons = final price $1.48 

Once again I paid for these items with my Walmart gift card, so no out of pocket expense.  I will, however, still track them on December’s spending roster.  I am proudest of my gallon milk purchase because as you all know we “half it” so as my daughter pointed out, technically we are getting two gallons of milk for 88¢.  Good thing too because we are going through milk like crazy around here. 

The trip to Michaels netted me one T-shirt to embellish to go with a pair of flannel pajama pants I am making for a Christmas gift.  After my coupon the shirt rang in at $2.25.  The flannel was given to me and I used a pattern I already had so $2.25 makes for a very affordable gift.  I’ll post this when I get it finished. 

I gave each of my girls a haircut.
 

I used up every last bit, and I mean every bit, of lotion in a bottle before I put the empty bottle in the recycle bin. 

Monday a friend gave me her coupon doublers and I stopped at Walmart on the way home from her house to pick up:
 

·         2 boxes Stove Top stuffing 94¢ each, less $2 in coupons = final price 12¢ credit!
·         2 one pound packages of wieners 89¢ each, less $1.50 in coupons = final price 14¢ each!
·         1 jar Kraft mayonnaise $3.58, less $2 in coupons = final price $1.58 

Again I paid for these items with my Walmart gift card, so no out of pocket expense and I will also track them on December’s spending roster. 

I made two more hats for the Holiday Bazaar.  The bazaar was held on Friday and Saturday at our shop.  We offered free booth space to other crafters as a way to give back to our community and help give them a little financial boost.  We all made a little money but nothing earth shattering. 

I made a homemade coconut cream pie for my oldest daughter’s birthday and homemade chocolate cupcakes and frosting for my youngest daughter’s birthday. 

I made pumpkin puree from a sugar pumpkin out of my Mom’s garden.  I then made a pie for Thanksgiving with some of it and packaged the rest for the freezer. 

I made all of our Thanksgiving dinner from scratch with the exception of the Stove Top stuffing I got this week for free. 

I did not go Black Friday shopping.  In fact, other than my couponing I didn’t do any other shopping at all. 

I cut up the leftover turkey and packaged most of it for future meals and put it in the freezer along with a container of leftover gravy.  I put the carcass in my big slow cooker with carrots, celery, onion and more than a gallon of water.  I let it run on low overnight and once it was strained I was able to put four containers of broth in the freezer. 

I am ready for a much slower paced week now.  How was your thrifty week?  Did you get any amazing deals? 

You may enjoy revisiting Loss Leaders & Coupons.

2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...