Friday, March 22, 2013

Hard Water & Calcium Build Up


One of the things that really needed some attention was to tackle the hard water build up in our showerhead.  I pretty much had water going everywhere.  I used a Ziploc bag filled with about a cup of white vinegar and a rubber band to secure it over the shower head and let it sit for 24 hours.  I checked it and decided to go another 24 hours as it was pretty plugged up with calcium. 

Once softened, I used an old toothbrush I keep for scrubbing to clean up the softened deposits and then ran the shower with warm water.  No more water spraying all over.  We now have a nice stream heading in the proper direction. 

While I was at it I poured a little vinegar into a custard cup and left the end of the kitchen sprayer to soak in it for 24 hours, clean it up with the toothbrush and a wooden toothpick and it is working perfectly once again. 

The vinegar was reused to deodorize our milk pitchers and the kid’s drink containers as well as to replace the fabric softener in a load of laundry.  No waste in this house.  The bag was rinsed out and hung to dry so it will find another use as well. 

Do you have to battle hard water where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...